• 5. Light grip, both hands

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • 6. Shouldn't be allowed to play with firearms

Votes: 5 4.2%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard different people talk about how tight they grip their gun. I've found I have to be pretty tight, both hands, with firm cheek pressure.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Probably a different issue Charlie, but as I've mentioned previously, firmly squeezing one's hand has (somehow) been shown to help prevent "yips" in soccer players. When I consciously tell myself "squeeze the grip" right before calling for the target, I am MUCH less likely to flinch and my swing to the target is smoother. I do keep a very light grip on the FE.
120 years ago Capt. A.W. "Blue Rock" Money advocated a firm trigger hand grip.

· Registered
36,825 Posts
Is this to pass on to students?

I look at grip involving force applied to gun with the hands and force applied against the shoulder.

My own preference is enough to move the gun without hindrance or binding. Too much of either does not allow a smooth swing, cutting my swing short and adding to my fatigue.

· Registered
36,825 Posts

· Registered
6,589 Posts
I have found that if I am holding on to the forend end with any grip at all my left hand takes over and I get really weird arm swings, frequently moving away from the target.

When the strength of my mount is my right hand, right shoulder, good cheek weld(pressure). This helps me use my whole body to swing to and with the bird.

My left hand, left arm is there for support, to move as an extension of my shoulders, my body. It's position can speed up or slow down the feel of the gun, for myself farther out speeds me up, while bringing it closer to action slows the swing down. And tighter grip on the forend with left hand moves control of the swing, in a herky jerky way, away from my cheek.

Al

· Registered
180 Posts
I have found that if I use a medium grip my swing is much smoother. I tend to tense up if I use too much grip, kind a like playing golf. Too much grip causes me to be too stiff through out my whole body. I use more cheek pressure than grip it seems like.

· Registered
60 Posts
I have heard different people talk about how tight they grip their gun. I've found I have to be pretty tight, both hands, with firm cheek pressure.
The grip should be firm but not too tight (choking). If the grip is too tight, you may start canting the gun just before the shot and on the extreme crosser that may result in missing the bird.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
The grip should be firm but not too tight (choking). If the grip is too tight, you may start canting the gun just before the shot and on the extreme crosser that may result in missing the bird.
I say again. In Trap there are no “extreme crossers”.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.