Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old friend gave me this unopened 4 lb. cardboard container of Red Dot powder.
He said it was stored in his heated basement, but does not remember when he got it.
Can't be that old as it has a "bar code" on it.
Any guess as to age ?
Should I treat it any different than the current plastic jug of Red Dot I'm using?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'd load a small sample. Maybe 25 or 50 shells. Take them and shoot practice.
That should indicate if the powder is still good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
As long as it was stored dry, you should have no issues. Open the can and smell it. If it smells funny or off, you have some great fertilizer. If it smells like normal, load a few and test them.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
An old friend gave me this unopened 4 lb. cardboard container of Red Dot powder.
He said it was stored in his heated basement, but does not remember when he got it.
Can't be that old as it has a "bar code" on it.
Any guess as to age ?
Should I treat it any different than the current plastic jug of Red Dot I'm using?
90's possibly new as early this century.

Tell you what, don't open it and I'll buy it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In 2015 I aquired 32 pounds of Hercules red dod in cardboard containers manufactured in late 90's it all shot very good.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It might be a little older than late 90's. I remember buying Red Dot back then and it was packaged in the plastic jugs that we see now. I got into trap shooting in late 96/early 97 and they were plastic jugs then.

Derek

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I think Alliant bought out Hercules in the early 80's. A few years ago I bought a [older than this style with the large cardboard lid] cardboard container of Hercules Green Dot and it loaded and shot like it was just made.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had some red dot from 1992 that was in that kind of packaging and it worked fine , also just got some green dot from the 80s and it was as good as new also . Both had been properly stores Matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wish I still had the old military 4831..... it was 25-30 years old when I first started using it; worked great!

And, if you bought a 25 lb keg it was $12.50! Fifty cents a pound, those days are long gone :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts