Trapshooters Forum banner

How often does this happen

2192 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Motordoctor
I had the opportunity to shoot a good friends SBT today. Took it off the rack and and shot a 98/100. To say I loved the experience would be a gross understatement. When done I learned it may, or, may not be for sale, guess time will tell. I may be in love !
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
A friend bought a Perazzi MX200/8 and asked me to shoot it. It was definitely more gun than I ever hoped to shoot! I shot a 24 the first time. Thereafter he occasionally offered to let me shoot it, always with a good score. As he got older he asked me to shoot it more often as his eyesight was failing him and his scores were dropping. He thought a gun that nice should be shot and I think he got pleasure out of seeing me shoot it. After a couple of years he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I didn't have that kind of money but the wife and I figured it out to where I was able to buy it. My friend was my coach and mentor in trapshooting and one of the kindest guys I ever knew. He passed away the year after I bought the gun. I could never sell that gun because of the sentimental attachment. Was it the gun that made me shoot well....probably not. Was it wanting to do well while Tony was watching me....definitely.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
Once you buy it, your scores will drop tremendously. I guarantee it.

I hope this helps.
Is that like the depreciation of a new car off the lot?
This is 100% accurate hahah
had the same damn thing happen to me with a berretta a400
Guarentee... that darn Murphy guy.
I call it "the new gun syndrome".
Get new gun you pay more attention to what you are doing and not long after you go back to your same old ways.😞
The way to work around these sound bits of advice is to not;
Press for the good scores to happen
Shoot to have fun just shooting
Just see the bird and let the gun do the work

But as soon as lose focus
Think it's easy
Stop having fun
Press yourself to shoot as good or better than that first good scores

All of the sound bits advice are going to happen!

I sold the SBT that I shot a 98 with the first time out with, because between pressing to shoot that good and losing the fun of shooting. It didn't do me any good.

Al

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I agree on some points, it’s the shooter not the gun and gun fit is important. I struggle with two issues, the confidence you have as a shooter that any target presented with be crushed. Also, does a perfect fitting gun give you the sight picture your feeble mind is looking for. My present SBT has a high adjustable rib with a matching high head position stock. While I shoot it well (averaging in the upper 90s) I often wonder if this configuration is really what my minds sight picture is needing. The gentleman that let me shoot his SBT yesterday has also allowed me to shoot a couple other guns, that i shot well. The commonality is these guns are low rib fixed POI giving a much different sight picture and body ergonomics. So my conclusion is that maybe a high rib gun is just not for me.

· Banned
35 Posts
While I agree on some points, it’s the shooter not the gun and gun fit is important. I struggle with two issues, the confidence you have as a shooter that any target presented with be crushed. Also, does a perfect fitting gun give you the sight picture your feeble mind is looking for. My present SBT has a high adjustable rib with a matching high head position stock. While I shoot it well (averaging in the upper 90s) I often wonder if this configuration is really what my minds sight picture is needing. The gentleman that let me shoot his SBT yesterday has also allowed me to shoot a couple other guns, that i shot well. The commonality is these guns are low rib fixed POI giving a much different sight picture and body ergonomics. So my conclusion is that maybe a high rib gun is just not for me.
you only look bad when kid wins with a field gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.