Trapshooters Forum banner

How much wind is too much for you to shoot

4730 Views 48 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  wm rike
I am going to go to shoot tonight. Weatherman calls for 25 to 30 mph winds. We usually shoot a 50 bird lewis and a ten bird . Where do you draw the line on shooting in the wind
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
if you are shooting games or for competition I would shoot as long as the weather was conducive to allowing the voice calls to operate properly. If I was there for practice and to work on something specific (excluding learning to shoot in the wind) then i would bag it as I have found it not as a productive of a training session. But also keep in mind that shooting in the wind will sharpen your game and may allow you to become proficient vs others who are intimidated by or lack the ability to shoot well in those conditions

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
As long as you don't actually see the tornado..

Your pretty safe to shoot.

DGH
There was a monster thunderstorm coming down the mountainside behind the trap line. Big downdraft winds that knocked the doubles targets down so quickly some folks didn’t get a shot at the second target. I shot an 80 and won it but it sure did my average in. Still, next nearest score was a 52. So I guess I did good. Within 5 minutes of finishing the rain came down. HARD.

· Premium Member
8,307 Posts
I am going to go to shoot tonight. Weatherman calls for 25 to 30 mph winds. We usually shoot a 50 bird lewis and a ten bird . Where do you draw the line on shooting in the wind
That I know, 2007 Kansas State Shoot singles championship the wind was supposedly 52 mph at the airport. But it was a tailwind.

That's probably enough.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
When l can't stand up. I have neuropathy and have no sense of balance. I have fallen and broken both shoulders up. l play it safe.
That I know, 2007 Kansas State Shoot singles championship the wind was supposedly 52 mph at the airport. But it was a tailwind.

That's probably enough.
You wouldn't happen to be in Tucson? Been awful windy during shoots this winter.

· Premium Member
3,671 Posts
When l can't stand up. I have neuropathy and have no sense of balance. I have fallen and broken both shoulders up. l play it safe.

You wouldn't happen to be in Tucson? Been awful windy during shoots this winter.
Neuropathy & some balance problems (not much) have about got me ready to quit altogether. Self-confidence gone - too embarassing. Still shoot a little informal practice, but no more competition.

· Registered
670 Posts
I shot twice last week in the wind, protector and oakleys. Oakleys you had a hard time holding your barrel and body steady in the gusts but everybody has to shoot in the same conditions so still fun. Protectors the birds were flat , flat and were pushed quickly down. Everybody shot under average and you had to tighten your hat down or loose it,. Everybody showed up though because that's what we do.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.