Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a used MEC Grabber and a 650. I've been using them less than 6 months. I'm not sure of either press's age but I was wondering how much force is needed to pull the levers?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
With or without a shell? it should be pretty easy without a shell, if it's not you may have an issue.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
When I had my 9000, I got into a rhythm and started with my right hand and added my left hand about midway down. After a few years of tired shoulder, I went with a PW 800+ with electric drive

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I had my 9000, I got into a rhythm and started with my right hand and added my left hand about midway down. After a few years of tired shoulder, I went with a PW 800+ with electric drive
Thats my reason for the question. I'm 50 now but as I age what are my expectations concerning reloading shotshells and the effort it takes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I appreciate that info!
From my experience, the amount of effort will decrease once all stations are dialed in and shells look good. Too much effort usually means something is out of adjustment or an issue with the mix of components. Also, due to the height of my bench, I find it easier on the shoulder to stand while loading.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have 2 - 650's
The wooden handle from MEC is a must add on. When everything is adjusted and greased, without shells there should be little effort needed. And only modest pressure when it has 6 shells in it. If it hits a snag and binds up something is off. I seem to hit the most resistance when it hits the press out of the old primer on a once fired shell. The primers come out a little easier on reloaded hulls.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Leverage is always a friend. I knocked the wooden handle off and added a piece of 3/4 conduit that sticks out maybe 6 or 7 inches farther than the wooden handle used to. One screw keeps it from sliding loose. I got a padded foam handlebar sleeve from the bicycle shop. It is amazing how much easier the lever pulls.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The 650 isn't resizing, so a lot less than the Grabber.

And the Grabber might occasionally have a scenario where the hull doesn't drop all the way down in to the collet. You will notice extreme resistance, and if you power through it , you will notice the brass gets bulbed out at the end.

.....it's going to happen to you eventually.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts