Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm addicted to pretty wood on a shotgun! I keep looking at stocks that cost more than the gun I shoot. There are way too many good looking shotgun stocks being shown off on this site. I can't take it anymore....I'm out to buy something!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Matt,

Go for it. Just make sure you post pics when you get it so we can all drool on it.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I've seen stuff advertised on different website for up to $5K....that's some pretty "high cotton"....but there is lots of nice sticks for under $2K. I've LOVE to see someone put exhibition wood on a 90-T. Keep us in the loop.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
I love pretty wood too, but doubt I'll ever convince myself to spend any amount of money on it (it's the Scot in me).

Once you realize that pretty wood doesn't break targets, it all becomes academic at that point. I have to chuckle at the guys who are proud as peacocks about their quadruple upgraded factory dimensioned stocks that don't even come close to fitting them, and they can't hit the broadside of a barn with it.

I'll take an applecrate stock that fits over the highest grade stock that doesn't any day of the week.

Even if I were to have a custom stock made, it would probably be made with one step above apple crate. Although Dennis Devault seems to have some pretty amazing results come out of his "bargain bin".

Until then, my PFS will work just fine.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I would love a gun fitted with exhibition wood, but the costs involved would have meant robbing the kid's college money.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I restocked my Ljutic myself. Bought the blank and had it turned to my pattern. Couldn't buy the wood now for what I paid back in '92. Turned out fine but wish it was checkered...nobody to do it here (Alberta) that I'd trust.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
If you're gonna pay big bucks to get a custom stock made, it might as well be made from pretty wood!

Call around and check your options. Some stockmakers are not fitters, and visa versa, nor can you ever really see the actual beauty/grain in a blank. Some blanks are obvious, but they cost big $$$.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Every one should have at least 1 beautiful set of wood in their lifetime. The pride and feeling it gives you is priceless. I had mine about five years ago. Tom Smith made,with gorgeous English walnut on my K 32 combo. I couldn't shoot it very good but got tons of compliments. The wood was in the 5K range. Finally sold the whole works at a $1,500 loss. Life is too short to go through with an ugly gun. Same way with cars. IMHO

Clyde

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Hey Gary : Any chance that is my clock . I can`t tell it apart from the one you made Federal that hangs in Sparta ...John

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
How much is too much for pretty wood??

No amount is too much...if that's what you really want and enjoy....and can really afford it.

I love beautiful wood...but consider expensive guns that have mud wood from the factory a rip off....Like Perazzis for instance. (..even though I own one)

I guess there is always something to spend money on...some of it is necessary...and some of it is like Rolexes, diamonds and Ferraris...and expensive wood.

If you have money to burn and it makes you happy...then so be it. For a working man like I was most of my life...it's a vanity that isn't even a consideration for me, even though I could probably afford it now.

I can't really explain why super expensive wood doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe because life was real hard for my Mother and I when my father passed at an early age...leaving a farm and debt for a young widow and a 14 year old kid to struggle with...when 5 dollars extra didn't exist, or even one dollar extra. You could say I learned the value of a dollar the hard way...and I never forgot what life was like back then.

Now a days ...I'd feel like I was burning money...and the fire just might get big enough for me to run out I guess. I couldn't enjoy really expensive wood even if it was a gift.

...and it's just "not" who I am.

So a nice factory walnut with a high gloss finish is still my favorite (like Browning for instance)....and I don't feel like I've thrown away what I am so extremely blessed to have.

On the other hand I'm "really proud" for my friends that have guns with expensive wood, because I know they "really" enjoy owning them.

...and because it "is" who they are.

So how much is too much? ...it just depends on "who you are".

Best regards...Stan

·
Vendor
2,111 Posts
Here is some work by Phil and Nate Simms. Not only does this wood have real nice figure, their system really reduces recoil. I have broken the best scores of my career this last year with this gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts