Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tipping the trap help is not allowed at our trap club. All gratuities for the trap help are handled by the club officers. A round of trap is $5.00.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Our hired trap help is compensated. I have never seen anyone tip trap help. If I did, I'd propose a rule banning it for the obvious reasons.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
So far as I know, tipping is not generally done at trap events. At Maringo, we had the nicest young lady pulling/scoring/trapping for us on several events over three days, and I quietly slipped her a $20 after we finished our last round. That was an unusual circumstance, and I never mentioned it to the other guys on my squad.

At our local shoots the club members do the scoring, me among them, and occasionally someone will shake my hand and say "thanks". I always complement and thank the scorer, and the friends on my squad. On the way out, I thank the guys behind the desk and the folks in the kitchen at the host club for their hospitality ...especially if they're serving those wonderful dirty 'ol country ham sammitches.

For sporting clays, after a round of 50, we tip the trapper $5 each.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ours are paid at the minimum wage scale ($7+/hr). We also have a tip box that they split among themselves on Sunday PM, after the weekend. From what I'm told, they don't get much.

Besides maintaining the trap and skeet houses, they also move boxes of targets, shovel snow, and handle other tasks the shotgun chairman designates.

I throw a couple of bucks in weekly, and at Christmas time, several of us up the amount.

I think it comes down to what each of us believe about tipping.

Best,
Dennis

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
In Michigan, if their paid employees, I tip nothing. If volunteers, I might tip a buck or two......for the day. or round, if sporting clays.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One puller in my local club goes out of his way to welcome new shooters and teach them the basics. I'm very appreciative of the work he puts in.

Typical tip from me is $5 for every 4 or 5 rounds.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We had a decent day last Friday here in the frozen wasteland of MN, made it into the 30s. Poor highschool girls out pulling and scoring all day, I shot 4 or 5 rounds and figured I should leave something. They did a great job and never once complained about the cold or not being able to warm up. Usually I don't leave anything, but they really earned their wage that day.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I don't know when I'm allowed to or not, so I don't. I have brought lunch and sodas for some that I personally know and care about. I have also made cookies, pies, and cakes and put them in the clubhouse for them.

I've been on squads where some of us saw a shooter's target break while one of the shooters couldn't see the chip fall from his/her angle. I appreciate the trap help very much, but I am always wary that another shooter could accuse me of having given a bribe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our club is run by all volunteer help. Also due to insurance regulations we can not let anyone under 18 to load the traps. What we do is along with our youth program we let the youngsters shoot for free as long as they keep score and help clean up at the end of the shoot.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I dont usually tip every trap, every event, every day etc. But usually the last trap of the last event I shoot, I give the kid $10 or $20...just because!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.