Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized I have been loading for 58 years. I started when I was 12 with my dad. My uncle worked at a shot tower and we got shot really cheep. 700x, red dot was the available powder and plastic was just being incorporated as the new sensation. Sears sport load paper shells were $1.85 a box.
I can say I still shoot and load about 15000 rounds and just enjoy loading, its my man cave, safe place.
The journey has been memorable and nothing like the enjoyment of pulling the handle and then pulling the trigger at the home range.

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
I started when I was 7 with a MEC 600 JR that was a Christmas present. 58 years as well. Oh and I still have and use that reloader occasionally.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Started metallic in '62 and shotshells in '66. Still have the Lee Loader and the Herters Model 72 M. It is all cast iron with an adjustable powder and shot dispenser. You moved the shell from station to station, really speeded up production from the Lee.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Not sure of the exact date but I will say it has been 50 plus years here too ! Started out on a Texan loader and was taught by the members of our local Sportsmans club.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Late comer to the addiction. Started in 1992, and I'm 72 years old now. Load for 410, 20, 12 ga. now on a PW 800+ and a PW 375, plus have 2 Dillon 550's, a Dillon 650, a Forestor Co-Ax and RCBS Rock Chucker. So only 30 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Started when I was 12 and I'm now 73 years old. It has been a real experience I can tell you. I have enjoyed it: even with some major screw-up’s. And I'm still alive!

Ken

·
Registered
30 Posts
Started metallic reloading for my 243 Winchester at 12-13 years old. I'm now 50, so about 38 years. I am a newbie on shotshell. Bought a set of RCBS cowboy dies about 10 years ago and dabbled with a few boxes of shells then, but due to a toxic marriage I didn't have the money to purchase a shotshell reloaded then. So shotshell reloading fell by the wayside for me till about a month ago. Wish I had started earlier!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Started in 1975. What's that 45 years. And I've owned just about every reloader made in that time except the "Grand" and the Dillon is the best of the lot. Yea, I owned a Spolar Hydraulic, and PW800+ electric and 366, and most of the Mec's. At least 70% of the rounds I've shot in those years have been reloads. Almost all AA's I purchased or won. Oh yea, for metallic I use a Co-Axel and a Hornady electric powder dispenser.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,732 Posts
I started reloading shotgun and .222 Remington at college in 1962. So 58 years.

I reloaded 12 gauge skeet loads on a MEC 600 Junior in my college apartment. I reloaded .222 Remington at the ROTC armory on campus. The rifle team sargent and I learned how to reload metallic cartridges together.

When plastic shotgun wads came out we would pick them up from the skeet field and reload with them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
About 50 years.
Still loading AA CF with Winchester components, all these years later.
For rifle, I started with a Lee Loader in .303 British.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Start in 1975 reloading with an ideal hand press which I still have. In 1977 got a RCBS rock crusher for PPC competition I still have that also. In 1980 picked up four MEC loaders 410bore 600 Jr. 28ga what became the 650, 20ga 600 Jr, and 12ga what became the 650 all used and still use them regularly. In 2000 got two new Dillon 550 presses one large primer and one small primer ;easer that way;
so to answer the question 45 years

1 - 20 of 123 Posts