Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can you screw a choke in and out of a barrel before you wear out the barrel threads ?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I've got it set up with Briley with direct withdrawal from my account. They send me a new IM, LF and Full every 6 months. Works out great and I never have to worry about wearing my choke threads out and not having a choke ready. For what it's worth, I usually only get about 232 times. Maybe I need to try a different choke grease.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Can't imagine what the world would be like without smart-asses trying to be funny...........................

Reactions: bpcatch22

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Rotti: 3rd post and you're the etiquette monitor?

OK, I'll answer the question to the best of my ability. I've yet to hear of anyone wearing out the choke tube threads in their gun's barrel. But if you could find that rare bird...would he know how many times he's screwed/unscrewed it?

And do we know if he typically leaves the choke in if it's gotten wet, so it's rusty in the barrel ? And who did the threading? Some are better than others. And which choke tubes? Factory or after-market?

So, I think I'm safe in saying that if you keep the threads and choke tubes cleaned and lubed (and don't force the choke in with a 5-lb hammer)...the answer is: "a whole bunch of times." And I seriously doubt anyone has counted choke removal.

There, Miss Manners. Is that better?

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Dang, I was WAY off. I was thinking 437,025 times. I keep a running tally in my gun case.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Rotti: 3rd post and you're the etiquette monitor?

OK, I'll answer the question to the best of my ability. I've yet to hear of anyone wearing out the choke tube threads in their gun's barrel. But if you could find that rare bird...would he know how many times he's screwed/unscrewed it?

And do we know if he typically leaves the choke in if it's gotten wet, so it's rusty in the barrel ? And who did the threading? Some are better than others. And which choke tubes? Factory or after-market?

So, I think I'm safe in saying that if you keep the threads and choke tubes cleaned and lubed (and don't force the choke in with a 5-lb hammer)...the answer is: "a whole bunch of times." And I seriously doubt anyone has counted choke removal.

There, Miss Manners. Is that better?
Whatever.............................YOU ARE DA' MAN :1:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I sincerely hope this is a farce... Because IF any of above number were true, Sporting and Trap shooters would go through barrels like AR's do, and be a large market of replacements in 3rd party options. None of these exist currently.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Same here!

I looked at my 2 Perazzis and 14 Mod 12s ... and none of them had any threads!

Must be a thread thief out there!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
A fellow I worked with who is now retired told me a long time ago that there are no stupid questions just stupid answers.

I think he was wrong, I have have stupid questions and answers all the time.

Denny you crack me up, I really truly like your replies, thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts