Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there are quite a few different 'standard' engravings for the K80. By standard, I mean their basic scroll engraving. They look pretty similar, but there are subtle changes and I wonder if anyone has taken note.

Does anyone know how many versions there are?

Is there any difference in value between them?

Are there any particular scrolls that are more sought after? E.G. are the original "W. Germany" patterns considered more attractive than the modern standard scroll?

Has the process changed over time? E.g. was the base scroll engraving ever done by hand?

Please share your thoughts on the standard K-80 scroll engravings!

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Does anyone know how many versions there are?
I would guess there are at least 8-10 different engraving patterns/designs that Krieghoff has used over the past 40 years on the K80 that have been considered "standard grade", possibly more.

Is there any difference in value between them?
The difference has more to do with what's on the inside than what's on the outside. Newer receivers will have current generation internals (there have been at least 3 different generations over the years). Late 90s and on have current guts, but there are 3 different generations of forend iron too, earliest one had no insert, middle one had insert, current one has screw adjustment (and is of a two piece design that is held together with screws).

Are there any particular scrolls that are more sought after?
Not really.

E.G. are the original "W. Germany" patterns considered more attractive than the modern standard scroll?
West Germany guns have older guts, so they are less valuable in my opinion.

Has the process changed over time? E.g. was the base scroll engraving ever done by hand?
Standard grades (except for logo receivers) were hand cut until around 2000 or so.

Bottom line, standard grade receiver/iron sets are worth b/w $3200-3500 (for an early 80s logo receiver) to $4500 (for a near new recent mfg receiver), everything else is somewhere in between depending on age and wear, so it's not like there's a whole hell of a lot of difference b/w min and max price for a std grade receiver or gun. My personal preference would be for a late 90s hand engraved one, although it wouldn't have the wear adjustments in the forend iron, so it's all give and take, I personally find the current gen of machine cut std grade receivers rather garish and would rather have a dead plain one (which is a factory option now I've recently learned).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would guess there are at least 8-10 different engraving patterns/designs that Krieghoff has used over the past 40 years on the K80 that have been considered "standard grade", possibly more.

The difference has more to do with what's on the inside than what's on the outside. Newer receivers will have current generation internals (there have been at least 3 different generations over the years). Late 90s and on have current guts, but there are 3 different generations of forend iron too, earliest one had no insert, middle one had insert, current one has screw adjustment (and is of a two piece design that is held together with screws).

Not really.

West Germany guns have older guts, so they are less valuable in my opinion.

Standard grades (except for logo receivers) were hand cut until around 2000 or so.

Bottom line, standard grade receiver/iron sets are worth b/w $3200-3500 (for an early 80s logo receiver) to $4500 (for a near new recent mfg receiver), everything else is somewhere in between depending on age and wear, so it's not like there's a whole hell of a lot of difference b/w min and max price for a std grade receiver or gun. My personal preference would be for a late 90s hand engraved one, although it wouldn't have the wear adjustments in the forend iron, so it's all give and take, I personally find the current gen of machine cut std grade receivers rather garish and would rather have a dead plain one (which is a factory option now I've recently learned).
Do you know what years that they changed the forearm irons?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The " fancy " ones do not shoot any better and older once can be refit (upgraded ) with newer parts . I like the new shadow K 80 engraving ,but have an older , different engraving nicer one .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts