Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you have probably seen in my other thread, I am new to shotgun sports and currently in the market for a quality O/U. In my search I am looking at used guns as an option. My question is how many rounds can be expected to go through a gun? What is a low round count? A high count? I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, so I apologize if I am bringing up old discussion. As always, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Well it isn't unusual for a shooter to shoot 700-1000 rounds during a small to medium size registered shoot over several days. There are guys that shoot that several times a month with 100's of practice rounds between those registered events. It's really up to you and your financial situation as to how much you'll shoot. I'd say an average shooter can easily put 10,000-25,000 rounds through their trap gun per year. That is maybe on the conservative side.
The Grand American(our sports World Championships) which is open to all ATA members is 10 days straight of trap shooting. Many shooters shoot every day of that Championship.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that I put almost 140,000 REGISTERED rounds through a Browning XT Trap. I had springs replaced in it at the Grand a few years ago and the bill was $54.
I suspect there was near 200,000 actual count.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
On an O/U there are three things that wear out. The locking block, the firing pins and the springs. You will want to ask when those were replaced. Other than making sure the barrels aren't pitted you are good to go. To rebuild an O/U with the above parts, may run $300-$500 depending on what is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I have well over 150,000 rounds through my grade six Browning O/U since `95 or `96 . All dbls and a few 16`s . 1 annual service a couple years ago at the Grand .

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have 500,000++ rounds through my Ljutic Mono in the last 37 years. Maybe, a lot more, I really don't know. And it still has the original firing pin.....

·
Registered
554 Posts
My 870 trap sees some pretty heavy use out on the trap field too; it does fine & hasn't had problems since buying new in April. Only other gun I'd go to for singles would be a 34" older bt-99. Other than that, my Remington does the trick. You can put many rounds through an 870 before replacing anything.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To answer your question, it really depends on the gun make/model itself as well as previous owner(s) maintenance. A high quality trap/skeet/SC gun will have...how should I put this...better reliability usually than a sporting o/u, maybe Mossberg product (nothing against Mossberg-just not for high volume shooting imo) or something along those lines. Every manufacturer will have a "lemon" now & again as well as "exceptions" to the rule. I.e. My recently inherited 43yr old Remington 3200 I would suspect has close to half a million rounds through it between my late Grandfather & late Dad, as well as me shooting it. All with no major issues at all yet you'll read on here plenty of guys say "steer clear of the 3200!".

You're asking the right questions though...just give us an idea of your budget and/or what you're looking at getting. The folks on here can give you a lot of answers if we have a particular model/models you're considering. If you're unsure, it never hurts to have a good independent gunsmith (not one from the shop you're going to buy from) look over your potential purchase for any issues or potential issues in the future with cost estimates.

Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
You need to check the release lever to see how far to the right it is. On Browning's the tongue latch, wears into the notch at the bottom of the barrel lug. This tongue has slightly softer metal than the barrel so it wears out first. So as this tongue wears the lever moves to the left. If the lever is a 6 O'Clock position its getting close to replacing. If this lever is to the left of 6 O'Clock and at say 5:30 or 5 O'Clock then its time to be replaced. This runs about $200 or so as the new part needs to be fitting slightly. This can be done once no problem. The second time this needs to be done, its possible that the barrel groove needs to have metal replaced then recut to proper size. So it will "May" run you a lot more the second time, in most cases. This holds true for Beretta's as well, but they have a pair of holes and pins that work the same way. These two guns make up most of the market place. A new gun's release lever is around the 4:30 position. Some may be closer to 5:00.
So if you look for a gun that's 3-10 years old you'll be fine. The older the gun, the more it may have been used. It's also important to talk to the owner on a older gun (try to say with a gun that had only one owner). Feel them out and see how much it was used. Many shooters shoot for a period of time and stop shooting it or quit. So its possible that a 15 year old gun was only used for a couple of years. A quality O/U will last you a lifetime. Cheap knock off's (turkish guns to name just one) will not. You have to able to get parts for your gun 20 plus years down the road. Enjoy your Journey and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My Browning o/u has been rebuilt three times and has had six owners. I know all of them and estimate it has had near 800,000 rounds through it. That may be a little high as a couple of them are foll of shot. It still locks up tight and shoots great. Buy a name brand and take care of it. I may catch hell for this, but I would not buy a Turkish gun until they have proven themselves. Several guys are shooting Turkish guns now so we will see. The cheap Mossberg, Remington, Stoeger o/u are junk, do not buy them. Several guys have thought they were getting a deal and got exactly what they paid for. Don't overlook a trap 1100 or an 870, if you are looking for a less expensive option. Buy quality and if you do not like the gun or want to move to something else you should be able to get most of your money out of it.
Also check at the club where you shoot for guns for sale and ask if you can shoot them. We had a newer shooter who shot very well but wanted a "trap gun" so I offered him a BT-99 that he wanted to buy. I insisted he shoot it first and it did not fit him at all. His scores were cut in half and I jokingly asked if he still wanted to buy it. He looked like he really wanted it but I told him I would not sell it to him that he should stick with what he was shooting.
Well maintained used guns can be a great value.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not sure it's really the number of rounds through a trap gun that matters, they'll all handle what you can throw at it and more. Personally I'd be more concerned with how the previous owner took care of it (or didn't take care of it). If it's possible I'd have a gunsmith give it a once over and let you know what kind of shape it's in. I've seen some abused shotguns that cleaned up really pretty so that they could be sold for a premium instead of what they're worth.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I'd buy a used Perazzi and never look back. If it locks up tight with no gap at the barrel/receiver that you can see light through and the lever is to the right a bit, then go for it. This is the criteria to look for in any brand of break open shotgun instead of the number of rounds fired. I would much rather have a quality used gun than a new one that is poorly made for the same money. Think again about the crap made in Turkey for a cheap price. Ask Tron what he thinks about the Turkish garbage being sold in the US.

·
Registered
18,677 Posts
That Turkish crap is a deliberate attempt by the moo-slim hordes to kill or maim American infidels one at a time by driving them crazy dealing with inferior and incompetently engineered CRAP.

·
Administrator
8,273 Posts
If I was in your shoes I would look at the planned upcoming purchase with these ideas and considerations.
1.Establish your ceiling on what you want to spend.
2.Is the O/U you are looking to purchase going to be orientated to American Style Trap or are you going to plan on a multi sport
type of shotgun?
3.If you are looking to purchase used and are mainly going to shoot trap take a good look at the older style Kolar trap model over
unders along with the older style fixed rib Krieghoff K-80 Trap over unders. These are very high quality shotguns that even if they
have a high round count thru them can be rebuilt/serviced and be ready to go all over again. I have seen some very good deals
come up on these model shotguns.
4.Perazzi the same thing as line number 3 :) Just establish what your main discipline is that you are going to shoot and narrow
down the models from there.
5.Many here will tell you the Beretta 687's are a good value also and those come up used and of course can be serviced and rebuilt
to give you any years of service.
6.As many have said they have gotten many thousands of rounds of service out of their Browning and are still going strong.
7.So Try befor you buy--find a shotgun that fits you well to start with--that points well and even if it is a bit of a work in progress
buy a quality name brand and you will have something to build on :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I bought 3 cases of primers (15,000) every spring for multiple years with my bonus check, and would always run out and buy more before the next year. Almost all of them were shot in my Beretta. No discernable wear. Reasonably clean and slightly lubricated was all the care required. Modern break opens from reputable makers are pretty trouble free.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Maintanance and care is much more important than round count. A "slammer", or "tosser" or any form of mishandling is tougher than careful round count. Some brands or configurations will take more or less abuse.
I have seen guns junked out after a few seasons or over a million registered rounds through a gun that is still going (Tom Buxman and his Alfermann). A competent TRAP GUNSMITH (and many gunsmiths are NOT) can tell pretty quick.
Many dealers will tell you the truth......some will not.....some dont know.......your results may vary........merlyn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts