Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is how many rounds have you got through your Tristars. I know a guy at the club that has got about 10k through his no problems. He shot all weekend and probably put almost a thousand through it and he swears by the gun. I have a browning 725 sporting but I want a adjustable gun. And thought about picking one up. Guys I have a wife and two boys that rodeo and play sports so blazer and all that is out of the picture.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If you want adjustability and reliability check out Guns Unlimited for a 725.
I have had mine since a year ago june ,13,000 rounds . NO PROBLEMS

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
If you want an adjustable gun, take your Browning and send it to "Tron" on this site for an adjustable comb.

All who have had him do this to their guns say he is great to deal with and does the work for a VERY reasonable price.

If I ever need another one done, that's where I'm sending mine.

Do yourself a favor and forget the Tristar. IMO, the Browning is a MUCH better gun.

BTW, I don't even own a Browning, but that doesn't stop me from saying that because of my 50 years of being involved in clay target sports, I truly believe that a Browning O/U is one of the best values out there.

I know guys who have shot over 200,000 shells through theirs with only minimal repairs.

No Tristar ever made will ever do that!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
An adjustable comb is $350-$400, depending on what you get. An adjustable butt would be a few hundred more, if that.

If you want a TriStar buy one but most feel you will be going backwards.

If you are trolling, well done!

Edit: 10,000 rounds is not a lot for a break action. Maybe a year's worth. Some gentleman on here say they shoot 50,000 shells per year.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Check Guns Unlimited. You can buy a new Browning with adjustable rib and comb for about 2500 bucks.
Sell the gun you're shooting to help pay for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was in a similar situation in 2017 when I decided to pick up a TT15 Combo. I was shooting a Browning 325 which has now become my dedicated sporting clays gun. I don’t track shell count, but I would estimate I have 10,000 through the Unsingle barrel, mostly 1 oz @ 1200 with some 1-1/8 @ 1250

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
10,000 rounds is nothing. Many shooters here will shoot that many targets per year. Maybe more. You want to buy a target shotgun you can put 500,000 rounds through with no problems. For this the tristar is out of the picture. Save yourself some money in the long run and do not buy one. If you want another shotgun for the wife or kids? Buy Brownings CX line of shotguns. You can't find a better shotgun for the price. Period "End Quote"!!!

If you need some adjustments on your current shotgun. Find a local gunfitter. He can fit you to your gun. Install a adj. comb or butt plate. Todd at the Country Gentleman is the best person for this. There are others too. Check with your local clubs and see if they ever get gun fitters come to there premier yearly shoots? Ask this to all the gun clubs in your area. Reach out to some of the stock fitters that still travel to shoots. Sometimes you can find a stockfitter at your local gun shop too? While Tron does good work at a fair price. He can't fit your shotgun to "YOU" over the phone. Good Luck and get your gun fitted to you. It will be the best money you ever spend in the sport. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
I’m currently reading one now. Thank you sir. But I’d like to find someone that has the newer ones.
It’s pointless as the gun is 110% POS on TS. Always has been always will be. It all depends on your level of use really. Is it going to last as long as a browning would? I would bet no but you may not need it to last as many rounds as a browning would. Heck I have barely been able to shoot the last two years. At this rate the tri Star would probably outlast me. I personally would spend about a grand more for the browning but that doesn’t mean the tri Star is useless and serves no purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,293 Posts
My friends TriStar comes with a counter on the side of the receiver that instantly tells the shooter at a glance how many rounds fired through the gun.......or am I thinking of the BiStar?

I recently learned the earlier TriStar trap guns without the adjustable stock device are more desirable. Interesting.

Since this thread was already hijacked by a bunch of snobs, figured I would add my 52 cents (Inflation adjustment) worth.

Reactions: Crhoades1

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
My friends TriStar comes with a counter on the side of the receiver that instantly tells the shooter at a glance how many rounds fired through the gun.

i recently learned the earlier guns without the adjustable stock device are more desirable. Interesting.

Since this thread was already hijacked by a bunch of snobs, figured I would add my 52 cents (Inflation adjustment) worth.
My son's Tri Star combo has in excess of 13,000 rounds through with it zero
problems. A lot of value for the money. Most Tri Star and SKB detractor's have
never even shot one.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I put over 25,000 rounds through a TT-15 DT between late 2015 and early 2019. I moved on to a Zoli not because I feared the TriStar was about to fall apart, but because I fell in love with the feel of the Zoli and the absolute obliteration of targets from my handicap distance (24 yards) when correctly pointed. Compared to the Zoli, the TriStar now feels like a small railroad tie – heavy, blocky and unresponsive. To be fair, my TT-15 DT is always a double gun, whereas the Zoli is a combo and I shoot it as an unsingle for everything except doubles. That has much to do with the feel.

I came into this game from a bird-hunting background and accustomed to carrying a lot and shooting only a little. The guns I used from boyhood were all light and quick. I assumed for a while that due to the opposite nature of trap, a trap gun should feel like the TriStar does. The Zoli has convinced me otherwise.

In my opinion – and mine is the only one that matters in this scenario, as yours is in your own situation – I got my money's worth and then some out of the TriStar. It's highly unlikely I'll ever buy another one, but I'm completely satisfied with the initial purpose.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My guess is, if you take your TriStar to the grand every year and pay $200-$300 for an annual tune-up like the P and K guys do, it will last as long as you or your kids will need it. Not everyone shoots over 10,000 rounds a year, so for many folks these guns represent a good value. And no, I don't own one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts