Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just figured because the price of barrels are so High. I had to go to Briley and get a set of 28 gauge tubes its been nothing but a headach 2 sets they sent me were both F----d up 3 set coming Wednesday. Im tempted to buy a whole gun just for the barrels and part it out rest.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
No need for Google. Neighbor bought a black 2014 CTS a couple of weeks ago. Sharp looking car but it's been towed back to the dealer twice already. Conversely, my K32 barrel sets are stone cold reliable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one Bob but I will look at yours, shoot me pics, price and barrel lenghts to [email protected] and is it a type 3 or 4. I alread have a 27 1/2 inch 4 barrel skeet set. looking for something with longer barrels with screw in chokes for sporting clays

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Competitively, virtually no one any longer.

The last guy that I knew that did locally put his up for a tube set 4 or 5 years ago.

Other than that, its been a VERY long time since I've seen one on the skeet field, and a very long time since any large event has been won using one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The direct answer to your question is 11. Information gathered from DHS and the people who built the website for Obamacare. They have all the answers.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,498 Posts
I shoot a Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting with 20, 28 and .410 gauge barrels. All are 32" barrels. I sold my Browning tube set because it was too heavy (10+ pounds). The Guerini weighs in at 8# with a Gracoil reducer.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let's see if this makes any sense. A four barrel set in a hardcase probably weighs in at 40 lbs. My k-gun with tubes and a carrier barrel in a Boyt softcase weighs 20 lbs. I know there is a significant weight difference between a softcase and a hard case but I don't think you can find a well-protecting 4-barrel softcase. I know what I'd rather lug around.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
"Why aren't 4 barrel sets popular in competition?"

The biggest part of the equation is weight. The average weight of a skeet gun shot by a top shooter is 10lb, some are more than that, and very few are lighter. Almost 1lb of this weight is from the subgauge tubes, which don't exist when shooting a 4 barrel set.

Another factor is disparity in weight and balance from barrel to barrel. Very few 4 barrel sets will feel and swing the same across all 4 barrels. I believe Krieghoff is getting them a LOT closer no a days on their barrel sets, but they also get around $5k for a set of barrels too. Off the top of my head, I believe they are the last mfg offering a 4 barrel set on a non-custom basis.

And in that vein, cost is a HUGE factor. Figure a new std grade K80 4 barrel set is going to run you around $25k. Or a 1 barrel set with subgauge tubes will be about $11k.

Final factor is perception. The view over the barrels on a 410 barrel set is dramatically different than the same view over a 12ga barrel.

With subgauge tubes, you have the same weight, balance, look, and feel when shooting 20ga, 28ga and 410, and if you get a weighted barrel for 12ga, for that gauge as well. There really is NO advantage to a 4 barrel set, and NUMEROUS advantages to subgauge tubes.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
When you get to the point that a tube set is to heavy ,then barrels are your.only option if you want to keep.shooting or seperate light weight guns. There are 30,32 inch small gauge barrels from Krieghoff. And I am not being a smart azz over it.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts