Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Interesting question. I took up trap because I wanted to shoot better in the field. Now days I think I like the traget shooting better than the hunting, at least I spend alot more time and money on targets.

My game of choice is the valley quail. I could be a pheasant addict also if there were more of them in my area. Also been known to hunt Elk, mulies, pronghorn and desert sheep. If I could manage to eat a duck or a goose I would probably hunt them too.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Interesting question. I took up trap because I wanted to shoot better in the field. Now days I think I like the traget shooting better than the hunting, at least I spend alot more time and money on targets.

My game of choice is the valley quail. I could be a pheasant addict also if there were more of them in my area. Also been known to hunt Elk, mulies, pronghorn and desert sheep. If I could manage to eat a duck or a goose I would probably hunt them too.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Started out hunting ducks, rabbits, doves, squirrels and the occasional quail. Still do all my hunting with a shotgun. Every year I hunt quail, pheasants, doves, ducks, geese, snipe, woodcock, and occasionally prairie grouse. Started turkey hunting a couple of years ago and now have a new spring time passion. My love of the outdoors and hunting got me into a love of shooting and sometimes field trials. My shooting on weekends now has pushed out the field trials. I need more time off and more money. Quite the dilemma. I also love to put in the occasional fishing trip. I can't imagine life without my time spent in the outdoors on hunting and fishing trips. It is food for the soul. A life spent totally on concrete in the city would be an empty life for me.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Started out hunting ducks, rabbits, doves, squirrels and the occasional quail. Still do all my hunting with a shotgun. Every year I hunt quail, pheasants, doves, ducks, geese, snipe, woodcock, and occasionally prairie grouse. Started turkey hunting a couple of years ago and now have a new spring time passion. My love of the outdoors and hunting got me into a love of shooting and sometimes field trials. My shooting on weekends now has pushed out the field trials. I need more time off and more money. Quite the dilemma. I also love to put in the occasional fishing trip. I can't imagine life without my time spent in the outdoors on hunting and fishing trips. It is food for the soul. A life spent totally on concrete in the city would be an empty life for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well I should probably post up a little more about me, I've killed at the very least my fair share of ducks (not so many geese) and as I get older I don't feel the need to kill as many either as some of you have mentioned. As far as upland birds I really have grown fascinated with this aspect of hunting the last couple of years. The birds are much tastier than ducks IMHO but I really like the dog work. Hunting over pointers is truly a pleasure that I don't get enough of.
As far as Trap goes, I shot informally for many years (couple hundred birds ) to tune up for hunting season but about 3 yrs ago the bug really hit me. The kids are now grown and off on their own and I have the extra time and money to enjoy shooting now. I started shooting skeet (I'm sorry) low gun 2 yrs ago and really like it as it has helped me become a much better wingshooter.
I really love trap and started reloading a year ago to help lessen my overall costs. (juries still out on that but don't tell my wife LOL)
I have spent a great deal of time reading here but don't post much because I believe in the old addage mouth closed ears open rule to learn.
Thanks for eveyone posting and for all your replies over the last 1yr+. this newbie really appreciates it
Rick A

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
My Dad took me hunting in Minnesota in 1952 and I have been doin it ever since. Deer, antelope, ducks, geese, sharptails. I loved hunting with my black Lab but since he died we haven't bought another dog so pheasant hunting is in my fond memories.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Yep - mee too. If it walks, bow; if it flies, gun. I flip flop back and forth and where turkeys fit in this definition...

Joe

·
Registered
965 Posts
hunted for over 25 yrs before I ever shot a clay,,,,now its 15,000 shots at clays each year,,,,and about 500 at fur and feathers,,,,but I do love prarie dogs

·
Registered
94 Posts
The mobile nature of our last 5 or 6 years, we are getting ready to relocate to the 5th state since 2004, has led me to doing a lot of trap shooting & damn little hunting. My bird doggos have become pot licking house dogs. My taste in hunting is running to the more international & somewhat exotic, I like everything associated with a trip to some place I have never been to hunt something new. I have that wanderlust & the world is a big old place.

Mike

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
I used to hunt the two legged double breasted mattress presser in my younger day.....................But I just shoot trap now.

I got to old for the chase.

Maybe one of these days I'll get back in the saddle..........You just never know......

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've hunted game and birds for 50 years, just took a great 8pt. this fall. I've hunted in at least 8 different states and up by the Arctic circle, but I must say as I get older I enjoy shooting 300 birds a day that I don't have to clean or eat.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I love hunting. There is a magic in the outdoors whether you are in the woods, on the plains or on the water. A magic that the city will never have. But there is also a lot of fun watching a clay target fly apart. I don't know why but I never get bored watching it. Even after thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live to hunt, anything and everything my favorite now is duck and goose. I also love catching those big catfish in the summer. Getting ready for those snows and blues now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Black ducks, brook trout, beavers, I am an enthusiastic woodsman, trapper, shooter, sportsman. It's all good. No, it's even better than that. It's a great way to live life.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I still hunt. Deer, birds, waterfowl once in a while. Occasional bunny hunt if the weather is cool. I'll hunt until I can't.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If it has feathers and comes to a call I hunt it. I also have been know to hunt doves, quail, chuckars, pheasant, grouse and an deer.

Spring turkey hunting is my favorite.

Dr. Honk

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.