Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know 34" single barrel is the "in" thing now.

But I'm wondering how many people can actually tell the difference by shooting 34" vs 32" single barrel if the barrels weight the same.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All being equal (weight), probably not many at all.

If the weight is the same, I would still assume the balance would be different, right?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I can tell if they are side by side, one will be shorter/longer.
Other than that if the weight is the same and done like Pull & Mark says no way.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's mostly marketing, and in the USA Bigger is Better, "there's no replacement for displacement"

Since the 34" is what the manufacturers are selling, it's a moot point.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My personal experience of owning both and switching back and forth.
The swing dynamics are slightly different.
After shooting the 34" o/u at doubles and change to the 32" I will over shoot and swing to far in front.
I think this is caused by muscle memory.
The sight picture looks good until I shoot then I'm 1 foot too far.
After a few rounds you get acclimated and all is well.
Henry

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I doubt many could tell the difference

I bought 34” top single after input from ts folks. After 40 years away from the sport i discovered that's the “go to” length. 32 “ bbls on singles bbls suffer on resale.

my o/u is 31 1/2” My mind tells me this is perfect for me. I have never shot a 32” o/u

What really amazed me was the shift in Skeet bbl length from the go 26” 40 yars ago, length to 30” + today!

(this is what i have been told, not from personal experience LOL)

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
In some rifles there is a ballistic advantage in velocity, in a shotgun, all the powder has already released its energy far before 3o inches. With no ballistic advantage, it boils down to what the shooter thinks is best.

While I was having stock work done on my 34 inch gun, I shot my 28 inch field gun for a couple months. The first week was rough at handicap. Once I got used to it, I was hitting from the back equal to anything I had ever done with the trap gun. The little, light field gun was bumping my shoulder harder and slapping my face, but the targets kept breaking. I do not think a 32 inch barrel is a disadvantage.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In some rifles their is a ballistic advantage in velocity, in a shotgun, all the powder has already released its energy far before 3o inches. With no ballistic advantage
I remember reading a test report on shotgun ballistics, the report said 22" is all you need for max. velocity, and anything over 34" will actually start to lose velocity.

While I was having stock work done on my 34 inch gun, I shot my 28 inch field gun for a couple months. The first week was rough at handicap. Once I got used to it, I was hitting from the back equal to anything I had ever done with the trap gun. The little, light field gun was bumping my shoulder harder and slapping my face, but the targets kept breaking. I do not think a 32 inch barrel is a disadvantage.
Word of wisdom from first hand experience. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
My Magnus un-single is 32" and my Summit un-single is 34".

Have no idea what the weight of each gun with it's respective barrel weighs but I can't tell any difference between the two. That includes my scores also.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts