Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you shooters have switched to Promo Powder?

What are your components/hull/wad/primer/ grs powder.

How many of you are reloading the Federal Top Gun Hull.

Gary Bryant

·
Registered
474 Posts
Promo powder, AAHS hulls, W209 primers and Claybuster hulls. I load 7/8 and 1 oz from 1145 to 1300 fps. 1 1/8 oz to 1200 fps. Dirtier than some but, cheaper than all others. It works for me.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I use promo but it does burn dirty. Your guns action will be black. It always went bang and shot consistent. But you will think every powder is dirty after using clays.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Merry Christmas, Gary!

On today's question(s)

1) Me for one, but only as a sub for Red Dot by weight

2) My loads are directly from Alliant or other published sites w/the suggested components

3) Yes, but they do not smell the same as the Federal papers. I load them once to thrice & toss them & do not pick any up that have become wet as they have a paper base wad.

In the FWIW area, I have a friend who routinely practices trap by himself, shooting well outside the first & 5th pegs. His 25 target routine is something like ten from outside the #1 peg, 5 from the #3 peg & ten from outside the #5 peg. It solves all of the issues involved with narrower targets and if you are not competing in an ATA shoot, its perfectly within the rules for having some fun and enjoying the sport. You might wanna try it. That, or shoot some 'scrap', i.e., shoot trap from the skeet stations 1~7 where the field is overlayed. Plenty of angle in that game & its also good fun.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Going for the record number of DA threads in a month. You are just breaking the one held. Your ego must be just bursting.

Don

·
Banned
996 Posts
I switched to Promo a few months ago because it is cheap but as someone else stated it is very dirty. Does go boom and spits lead out the end of my barrel and breaks the bird.

Fiocchi primer, AAHS Hull, 17gr, DRXL 1 1/8 wad. 1145fps according to the load data.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I like top gun hulls. They are free and plentiful. I load once then toss them. 12s3 wads and same data as gold medal. Hard to tell from new factory loads

John

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I made the switch from Red Dot to Promo. I purchased an 8 pound keg of it. Used about a pound of it and went back to RD. Why did I switch back to RD? Don't know, just got it in my head that RD is better. Nothing wrong with Promo, just RD is better. Same basic powder, but I know my RD loads are THE BEST in the world, so I thought why did I change? Don't have an answer for that.

It's just in my head, but that is a big reason.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Promo, 18.6gr, blue and green dusters, Fed and Fio primers. Plenty clean and works well.. Larry

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been shooting it for several years, probably started right after it came out. Have used about 7 or 8 jugs. Do not have any problem with it. I shoot a stack barrel and some single barrel guns and not any autos so the dirty part does not bother me. I clean my gun pretty regularly. Smoggy

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I started using Promo quite a few years ago. I have probably used near a hundred pounds of it. I really cannot think of any powder I like better for the 12 gauge. I have used many of them, and I have really found no advantage in using anything else. I don't find it any dirtier than some of the others, and I shoot mostly autos.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I bought 8 pounds this summer when I could not get my 700X or almost anything else for that matter. I have been using it in my one ounce loads, I don't remember the grains, but am using a #29 bushing in my MEC 650and that got me what I wanted for a powder charge. Using Cheddite primers and Claybuster AA one ounce wads in old style AA cases. Same load in STS cases too. Have not shot a lot of it up yet.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Switched to Cheddite primers this year in loading Promo for 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. Use Claybuster WAA wads and load to 1150 fps for 1 oz singles loads and 1180 fps for 1 1/8oz handicap (24 yd) loads. Now use Lawrence 7.5's for all loads. Very pleased with patterning and actual shooting results.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
A friend of mine recently made the 27 yd. line with promo. It has been my powder of choice for sometime. I like fio primers,load by alliant specs. I like 1oz at 1250 with 7 1/2 mag. shot. 1150 7 1/2 for singles. Relatively clean. I am out now so may have to use what is available.

Clyde

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I use it for my ultra-cheap reloads.
Top Gun case,17.0gr. Promo,12S3 clone wad, any cheap eurotrash primer, 1 1/8oz. of reclaimed shot. For about 1100 to 1145 FPS.
Got away from my usual 1oz. load for singles shooting with reclaimed shot because of the sketchy breaks.
The Top Gun hull and paper base wad with 1 1/8 oz. shoots as soft as any 1oz. load and the cases are load once and toss.
This load also works well with the Nobel cases which actually load better than the Top Guns.

my 2 cents.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts