Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started reloading today for summer shooting. I usually only use Winchester 209 primers and had never had a problem with them. Since the cost of the Winchesters have rose to the cost of $159 for 5000, I decided to try a different brand, Nobel Sport, at a cost of $115 for 5000 and that would let me get an extra bag of shot for the difference in price.

Hmmmm may have been a mistake so far. I loaded 300 on the primer tray and looked them over to find the ones below. Two without caps and one with only half a cap. They all came out of the same box of 1000 but 3 different trays.

Has anyone else had this problem with Nobel Sports and is this something I will always have to look forward to ? 3 out of 300 is a pretty bad ratio.

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had similar experiences with other brands of economy primers. If you divide your savings by 5000, you will note that you are saving less than $.25 on a box of reloads. That put it in perspective for me. No more "economy" primers. Not worth the flinches! David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Leadhead,
I gave up on Nobles. Still have a bunch. Use them in the summer only. Real problems in cold weather with Green dot. Lot of blooper loads, failure to fire. Seem OK in hot weather with 700x and 1 oz loads. Cheddite a lot better for the money but I still suck it up and buy Fed 209a for most of my loads. Consistency in reloads is worth the price to me. You do have to look at all the Nobles you load to see if they are intact. Quite a pain if you ask me. Lance

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use E3 for powder at 1310 fps on 1 oz loads. I know green dot is a lot slower burning. E3 leaves no residue to speak of. I usually put a handwarmer in my pocket to keep the shells warm in between stations. It almost doesn't pay to reload because of the cost of componets and I do buy all mine in bulk.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My buddy is a die hard winchester guy. Last year he had lots of duds with his Winchester primers. I think it just happens. years ago I had trouble with CCI.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
tripod: Your buddy and I must be twins on those Win. primers, I had so many duds with Win. primers that I quit using them 25 years ago, very few dud primers with Rem. and\or Fed. I always said Win. should hire me to go out and buy their primers and shells because if there is going to be a dud I'm going to get it. Years ago I even sent some (dud factory loads) back, they were real good about that, apologized and replaced them, actually replaced way more than I sent in. Sure can't fault them for not trying to be fair and keep their customers happy. Ross Puls

·
Registered
151 Posts
On Nobel primers,
I purchased a sleeve of nobel at the Westy Hogan and am down to the last 2000, no trouble at all.except they are larger than our 209's I use them in throwaways only.
I Shot 50 today in 10 degree penna weather and not a probablem. My TM1 firing pin don't make much of a dent in the primer ,but they have all gone off so far... C.C.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I had 5000 Nobels and about 2 out of every 100 look just like this. Once in a great while there are none in a 100 and sometimes I have 4 or 5 in a 100. I load Red Dot and never have a problem with them even the ones that look like that.

With other brands of primers it is probably 1 or 2 out of 5000.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Get a few of those with some CCI`s , normally just pick them out but have not tried to fire them. Sounds like some of the guys here say they will work just fine. Sort a bunch out and try em, let us know how they work.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
shadow, I've used them with Universal Clays (flake powder) and Hod. H110 (ball powder) with no problems. All primers with or without flash covers, even l/2 flash covers all went bang. They do seem abit weaker than Win. primers in lower pressure loads. The higher pressures in the subgauges all go bang nicely. I too had some off sounding loads in 12 ga. with ll80 fps one oz. loads with Hod. Clays powder. Never had a problem when I used the Win. primers with this load, but the pressure in the load are very low. To low to get a good burn with Nobels primers for me. I don't know about cold temps as it does not get to cold here. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a few friends that have been loading the Nobels, and will tell you to save yourself a lot of trouble & exchange them if you can. If not, use them up for practice loads. Many misfires with them that do not go off. Browning shooter, Perazzi shooter, and beretta shooter.

I have been using the Fiochis for the last 10 years of so, without a single misfire. they are also a lot cheaper than the others.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Uncovered flash holes are not recomended with any type of ball powders. Those primers that have become uncovered should not be used if you loading ball powders.

Surfer

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have friends who have used Nobel primers and been pleased with them. I haven't seen any like those in your pictures. Cheddite primers are also cheaper than Winchesters and I have been using them for quite some time and I have been very happy with them. I have used them with Clays, HS6, and E3 and all worked well. I loaded them in AA, Nitro 27, Gun Club, Federal, Wolf, and Diannas with no problems. However, I did load them in some Fiochi hulls and the Cheddites were loose and would easily pull out with a finger nail so I stopped using those hulls. They have been good primers besides that.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Hard primers will occasionally misfire in some guns. My 90T is one of them.

It hates Fiocchi and Nobel. My 1100, however eats them up. the Nobel are shit in cold weather.

HM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts