Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the start of week 4 or me, had enough work to keep me busy the first week and a half, then some honey-do stuff around the house. This week boredom started to set in.
Looked at what was on the shelf in my reloading room and saw a partial jug of Clay Dot, and a unopened bag of Downrange Jammer XL-1, and a new bag of 8 1/2 West Coast Premium Magnum Shot. Don't shoot a lot of 1 oz loads, but these were a perfect combo for some.
I now have 500 fresh loads and no where to shoot them, it's perfect weather 50's & 60's but all my clubs are closed.
I also noticed I have another partial jug of Green Dot, and a bag each of DRRT12, & DRRF8, maybe a few more hundred of 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz in the following days.
So, when this crazy chit is over, I"ll be ready, willing and able.
Hope all of you are keeping safe and healthy.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Loading up what I have. Was planning on buying more components but that got shot down since reloading components ( like Ammo) are in tight supply right now by some suppliers. I'm OK for awhile and have quite a few shells loaded plus I have enough stuff to load between 60 and 70 boxes . It might take awhile for the supply to catch up to demand after this is over.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,894 Posts
Been home for close to two weeks. I've loaded absolutely nothing.

I don't load much more than I need for a week or so. But then again, I load the same for everything. That way my gun always feels the same when I pull the trigger, never have to think about what shell I'm using and I never have to stand there looking at a bunch of rounds that I don't want to shoot.

I've seen people go out, break a good score with some super-shell concoction then go home and load a gazillion of that same round - only to turn around and blow their next round and think "I'm going back to my other load!" So now what? You done loaded a bunch of magic that was all in your head to start with now you're questioning it? Stupid.

I have all I need, a few flats loaded and ready to go anywhere from any yardage.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just finished up my friends request of 15K of 5.56 for him and a few buddies. They helped my deprime, resize and clean brass after tumbling. I do not let them handle anything after that. That's all me!! Put them all in a 48qt cooler for them that they supplied with all the components to load all this with. I get to keep the left over powder. Bought 3 8lb jugs of the powder I used for the initial load that all 4 of them loved. Was an adventure to say the least!! My right arm could crush coconuts after this endeavor!!!! LOL. All was loaded on a Dillon 1050.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
i have been reloading, just bought 8 pounds of powder 2 bags of wads and primers and shot last Wednesday, might be going for more shot tomorrow

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wadhopper, if you worry about what shell you use at the 16, it's you who has the problems.
I've shot STS, AA's, Federal Gold Medal, Gun Clubs and Top Guns, 1 oz, & 1 1/8 oz and have seen no difference in my scores (high A) Through my Kolar I can't tell the difference.
Now Cap's are totally different, except I would not use 1 oz 8 1/2's.
Don't let you mind make you believe what's not important.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm working on my loaders. I've been making adjustments to my 8567 which I just came into possession of in January. Two days and two boxes of shells. I'll get the hang of it.

Sorting rifle brass in batches of 50 to resize and clean. I have bunches from .204 Ruger to 9.3 X 62. I found three .270 Winchester that were primed and have no idea why...they have been recycled . All my 6mm Remington are sized, This gives me a chance to either prep brass or reload it. I have ton's of bullets and powder, so am ok. I will load 10-20 rounds of unkown loads. Many more of known ones.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,894 Posts
Wadhopper, if you worry about what shell you use at the 16, it's you who has the problems.
I've shot STS, AA's, Federal Gold Medal, Gun Clubs and Top Guns, 1 oz, & 1 1/8 oz and have seen no difference in my scores (high A) Through my Kolar I can't tell the difference.
Now Cap's are totally different, except I would not use 1 oz 8 1/2's.
Don't let you mind make you believe what's not important.
You missed my point.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Been loading shotgun, rifle, and pistol for the last two weeks. Ran out of 1 oz. DR XL-l wads and some rifle and pistol powder last Friday I called one of my LGS 30 mi. away and had to make an appointment to pick the supplies up at 2 PM on Sat. I haven't shot a registered shoot since last Oct. and now all of the April shoots around here have been canceled. I've been shooting pistols and some long range rifle when the weather allows. That allows me to keep some degree of sanity.

Steve

·
Registered
31,602 Posts
I have 22 flats of factory, 13 flats of reloads at my winter home where I am now. I thought a better use of my time, instead of reloading, I am putting a micrometer to each piece of shot in 10 bags and separating, 7-1/2’s, 8’s, 8-1/2’s and 9’s. Everything larger or smaller I am going to cast 36 and 44 round balls.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Have been reloading some, no need to load a lot, if I cant shoot a lot, but I will stockpile 15-20 flats. I also load all the same load, but differ between 71/2 and 8. If I start back into some doubles 9 for first shot there to get that shot gone. Am very much considering a portable trap, on a removable preset fixture. Have found a great location for the machine no one to whine about noise, target pieces, or lead. Now decide between a MEC or Champion (new) or a well used LaPorte?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes, we were reloading, till we ran out of lead shot.
Looked online and have not found any reasonable to have shipped to us. Waiting till the 15 of May to buy much factory shells for the rebate. Potentiality, July looks very busy. Lester

·
Supporting Vendor
5,700 Posts
I have been reloading .223 and shooting rifle and Skeet plus making parts for reservoirs. Reservoir sales have slowed some but not much. Oh, and I learned how to cut my hair - my barber is 81 and may not open back up.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I've been loading a few hundred rounds. I pretty much got caught back up to normal about 10 days before the virus hit us. I am loading up a special mid type 12 ga. load for sporting clay's right now. I'm going to try it out on Thursday if all goes well. Stay safe everyone. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I have been loading the same shell combination except powder for 36 years so I never need to worry about my reloads . They perform from the 16 to the 27 yd line . Got bored one day in Dec and loaded up 5 flats . Same thing one day in Feb . I now have 14 flats of reloads and 38 flats of New Loads . I see no need to make any more at this time even though I have 32 lbs Clays , 13,000 primers , 8,000 wads , and 54 bags of shot on hand . Plus about 60 gallons of once fired hulls on hand . After the GREAT POWDER SHORTAGE I swore I never get caught short on supplies ever again .

·
Registered
952 Posts
With the down time I thought it would be a good idea to start loading again. I dusted off the PW and my MEC 9000 and pumped out about 12 Flats.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I have over 2000 bullets (and 1500 wads) coming from Graf's, and just picked up more powder, 209s, and shot. Shells tonight, pistol and rifle rounds when the Graf's stuff arrives.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've got 2800 more I could load, but given that everything has been cancelled though May and June I won't need them this season, I may or may not load them yet, depends on the state of the boredom over the next couple weeks

1 - 20 of 73 Posts