Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend that I shoot with offered me a few boxes of super x hunting loads. He said that a trade for some federal trap loads would be fine with him.

My question: How long would these safe-kept shells be good..as in like new. they are plastic hulled and he didn't know just how old they are. He has a dehydrater in the safe.

thanks Bill

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to use them for pheasant hunting. I realize they will all probably go bang but does anyone know about age related deterioration? Bill

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I won't trouble you with a cut and paste from P.A.T.R. 2700 but I will tell you that if those shells were stored in a stable environment ( temperature and humidity excursions small ) they are good for 50+ years. You stated that they were stored in a safe with a dehydrator/dehumidifier so unless there are visible corrosion on the metal or the box itself is moisture stained I would not worry at all shooting them.

The link to the PATR reference if you wish to purchase a copy.

Don T

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Probably perfectly good ammo. If the boxes are in good condition that tells you alot about storage conditions and the brass heads should be reasonably bright and free of corrosion. I occaisionaly hunt with old paper hull ammo from the 50's and haven't had any problems - granted the shells lack the better performing wads that we have today and the shot itself may not be as hard as we get these days. Anyway the roosters don't seem to notice the difference and I have a 'thing' for the old paper hull shells.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
As long as nothing has messed with the seal or they haven't gotten water or oil fouled they probably will shoot fine. I'd test one too if I were you.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I shot some 20 plus year reloads old last year, that I had kept in a metal bin/ open drawer in my shop all those years. They were just in a big plastic trash sack twisted shut ...nothing else.

They shot better than the reloads I have loaded lately. Maybe better materials back then, I don't know...but they were smooth and smashed handicap targets.

Shoot 'em up and enjoy...

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts