Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll know in the first round.

John

addendum; what seems to be the problem? If you just need to adjust some of the adjustable stuff like the comb or something to tweak the POI I wouldn't blame that on the gun, or if the trigger is bad that can be fixed, OTOH if the gun just handles like a 2 X 4 in your hands it ain't gonna' improve. You shouldn't have to adjust yourself to a new gun.

·
Registered
863 Posts
David if is not beating you up I would try to understand what doesn't work for me so I can avoid it in the future Example Is it the Under single the high rib etc.

I am assuming the fit is good and you started out with it shooting about where the old gun did.

5000 rounds has always been a popular number, but once you give up on a gun it is hard to make it work.

You didn't say what the old gun was but if the weight, balance or trigger is much different it will take time to adjust.

Good Luck

Shawn

·
Vendor
19,369 Posts
First time out usually. But if it fits I must aquits...

The real answer is that I pretty much know from the get-go because I stay in the Perazzi family.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I am guessing you are an experienced shooter? I would first analyze how you were shooting with your previous equipment, I would then make sure the gun was a good fit for you. I started shooting a couple years ago and began shooting with a new Comp Synthetic with adjustable everything.... could not seem to make any progress with my scores. Got a little help from a couple friends with experience, spent a day with Stu welton, got things about where they needed to be and scores jumped up. If you have covered all the basics and it still does not work for you indeed you have answered your own question..... Larry

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If its an unsingle, you may just be a part of the numerous shooters that decided they couldn't shoot one. I'd definitely go more than 1200 targets before I gave up on it.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I know several good shooters, who wasted a lot of time trying to get a gun to work. Weight, balance, trigger & fit--too many variables. I've got a tricked out 682 Gold E, that I can't shoot. Way to different from my SBT.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
148 Posts
I really appreciate all the responses, Just wondering how long most of you will give a new gun before calling it quits. I am an experienced shooter AAA/25/A. I have adjusted and patterned the gun to the same POI as my previous gun. I am just not settling into this one. I really don't want to watch the averages tank and then change again. What is wrong with us anyway? Why do trap shooters sell guns that fit and shoot well for just a new pretty face.

David

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Frank Little once told me it takes at least two thousand targets to get used to a new gun even if its the same make and model you were shooting. I started shooting a Browning Broadway for doubles and started shooting an MX8 combo. When I went back to the Broadway when the Perazzi was being worked on I couldn't hit anything with it even though I had shot the Browning for years with good scores. Don't ask me why. I think it was the shooter. ed

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
I went from 8 years with an 1100 Comp and approximately 80,000 rounds
to a K-80 Parcours. Previously used an 11-87 for 8 years. I gave the Parcours
one year & 10K rounds. I certainly knew by the end of the year that the K-80
is a high quality machine. However it did not improve my scores to justify the cost difference. I'm back to the 1100. It's usually the Indian.

I would give it a season of shooting to make a good comparison.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
David: Been there. A couple of years ago I purchased a Krieghoff KS-5 Special. This gun has an adjustable rib, adjustable comb, adjustable pad, etc. Well I couldn't hit anything with the gun. It felt good, but I just shot terrible with it. I finally placed it for sale on this site. Then I got a couple of emails from fellow forum members urging me to reconsider selling it. (I had shot about 500 rounds through it). Well I just kept adjusting, especially that stupid rib. All of a sudden I must have "hit the magic mark" in my adjustments. It took me well over 1000 rounds before I noticed improvement. I sure am glad I listened and gave it more time. I now shoot this gun well and have confidence in it. However I will never touch the adjustments on that stupid rib as long as I own the gun. :) Good luck and hang in there. Ed

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The latest 'new to me' gun that I have is a Kolar TC unsingle combo. After a few comb adjustments to get the poi about right, it took about three months and 4K rounds to get to where I was shooting decent scores. A couple years and 25K rounds later it feels like it was made just for me.

I never once thought that it might not be the gun for me - I guess I just wanted it to work out.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
The first year I had my CG everything went to pot.

I adjusted it to match the Browning XT combo I had and couldn't hit crap with it. I was about to give up on it and then I discovered what the problem was...ME. Unknowingly I had changed the way I was shooting a little bit but enough to make a difference. After corrections my averages went up and above of what I had.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
These words are from my own personal experience. There has been guns that have takin more rounds than others to gain the confidence, man I love this thing feeling than others. If the gun is not beating the shit out of you then with enough rounds you will like it. There is way to many things that come into play like stance, mount, lop, balance and on and on. If it feels good, swings well and don't nick you then just keep shooting it. It will come together but it does and can test your patience.
DONT FORGET THE PATTERN BOARD it mite save you some time and money in the long run.
Good luck

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Guess you could compare the weights of the two? Also, how about balance points versus your hand placement? Also, your sight picture could be entirely different. This means your fire-control computer must relearn it's target to point of impact relationship. This may take a while. Try going from an 870 to a BT99 Plus. Maybe yours is even worse? Hopefully Rollin will come on here with a few tips.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the input. I think concensus is to get the Blaser as close as possible to the set-up (poi, weight, balance and site picture) as my previous gun and shoot it alot. That is exactly what I am going to do. I went from a browning citori to a KX5 Special some years ago with little or no break in adjustments. This process seems to be taking longer and is far more frustrating then I anticiapted. Can't go backwards as the KX5 is now beyond repair. If ya'all see the Blaser on the for sale thread then I must have just given up. Thanks

David

·
Registered
995 Posts
Spend some time swinging and pointing your new gun at home, or if you have one, use the wall chart. You are trying to convince your body that this one is "old Betsey", and the more time it is in your hands, the better. Don't shoot, or even swing, anything else.
And winter time is good for that. But not much else...
dju

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I can shoot most any gun well (At least till the check clears the bank)

Honestly I try to go 2500 shells Some shooters go from a top single to an un single and have a really tough time.

A local club shooter shot a bt 99 really well and went to a cg unsgle and is shooting lousy I think its too much difference

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
David if the Blaser triggers are faster than your old gun, you may have to shoot it @ a higher POI, to compensate for the dynamics & timing of the gun. If you are older than 60, you might have to lower the POI, because your body can't keep up with the gun, you'll be shooting over the targets.

I had to do this with my Infinity.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 32 Posts