Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only explanation is extreme negligence on my part. I'm a sober loader, I dont force my machine, and I only load published data. I cant imagine how much force I'd have to pull the handle to make a primer seat inside another primer. Thankfully it was spent.

I fired my second barrel at a target today and it was a poof. Tried to clear the barrel and was met with resistance to the wad knocker. Forced the hull out of the forcing cone minus the brass. The brass ejected when opened the action.

Took it apart and found out why, I just cant figure out how. I load on a grabber. Either station 1 didn't remove the primer or only removed a part of it, or I need to seriously reevaluate my reloading process. I just dont see how this is possible. No intelligent person would apply the force necessary to seat a primer into a spent primer. Here we are. I'm embarrassed, confused, and lucky this wasn't catastrophic.
Table Wood Drink Cylinder Cup
Liquid Automotive lighting Drinkware Fluid Ingredient
Liquid Dishware Tableware Fluid Ingredient
Hand Wood Household hardware Finger Nail

· Registered
923 Posts
I had a somewhat similar thing happen just the last week while reloading but the shells never got to the target gun. I'm in the habit of inspecting EVERY reload as I box them. I have big hands and I just grab about 8 shells at a time and rotate my hand back and forth to check for live primer and crimps. Less than perfect crimps go into my cull shells for only practice, once in a great while I have one that just gets cut apart for the components. Once in a blue moon I will get a shell with no primer and the PW will just drop the powder charge thru the loader base and keep on chugging. The other day while inspecting and boxing I had 2 reloads with spent primers inserted. I stopped and rethought what I might of done to cause this. HA HA I remembered I had just filled my 300 count primer tray and as usual had a couple- 3 new primers tip that I removed with my tweezers and set them down on the left side of my loader on the bench to later put back in the tray. I also had neglected to empty my spent primer catch box and of course when it overflows those primers landed on the bench right where my new primers were and I just picked all of the loose primers and put them back in the primer tray. Another lesson learned.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Just curious how many times was the hull reloaded? Have you ever used a different brand primer that could have opened the pocket allowing the new primer to just push the spent primer onto the hull?
Maybe it's just me but the crimp looked slightly domed but it could be an optical illusion
Glad no damage was done

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,623 Posts
I was a single stage loader guy. I started in my late teens. I inspected every hull at each stage. Yes it was tedious and slow but I just plunked myself on the floor in front of the tv and took my time. I never loaded big volume, maybe 6-8 boxes in an evening but usually 4 for practice the following day. I never once had a squib load or ftf. I guess I was like the tortoise, slow and steady wins the race. That is until I got to the club and then went into bunny mode and shot that ammo off fast!! LOL
I haven't loaded in well over 20 years. When the switch was made to non-toxic shot for waterfowl hunting thats when I quit loading for good.

· Registered
126 Posts
I reload on a PW 900, and have had this happen to me. I found the primer punch, which knocks out the spent primer, was magnetized. It will hold the spent primer, which should fall when punched out of the shell, and bring it back into the primer hole. My solution was to use the head demagnetizer I have from my old reel to reel tape deck and demagnetize the primer punch. Don't ask me how the punch became magnetized.

· Registered
543 Posts
I have a PW and had something similar happen with old AA CF hulls where the punch didn't totally knock the primer out...it was hanging there by a thread of plastic. Either way I could tell right away something wasn't right on the up stroke of the handle being the loader basically locked up as it was trying to seat 2 primers... so I stopped and inspected the issue instead of forcing the machine. This is why I don't use a hydraulic or electric assist. I prefer to manually operate the handle so I can tell if something doesn't feel right.

· Registered
89 Posts
I wonder if the inside of the primer (cup and cap) was removed by the punch thru the flash hole. This may have left the outside "shell" intact inside the shell. A new primer was inserted and pushed the "shell" of the old primer thru.

I may be completely wrong here but it made sense in my head.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I have had that happen two or three times on my Spolar. What seems to happen is a spent primer misses the little chute the ejected primers drop down and fall back onto the primer ram. I watch the prming station very closely but also scan the other stations occasionally. Out of thousands of rounds sometimes one slips by. With the electric drive you can't feel anything. What amazes me is that the OP inserted the shell into the chamber and did not notice the case head was severely malformed. Every shell I put in my guns I am looking at the casehead before I close the action. I also look at the shells as I am boxing them up to take to the range.

· Registered
104 Posts
I have never punched one thru like you did but I have inserted a primer side ways. I noticed it when I was boxing & powder was leaking out. The primer was seated crossways and the flange had cut into the brass on a AA hull. Mechanical linkage gives a huge advantage so it doesn’t take a lot of force on that long handle to force things through the thin brass of a shell base. Bottom line is if it feels different better check to find out why.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.