Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everybody out there think that quality trophies make a big difference in shooter turnout? Should the quality be better with less, or should quality suffer a bit in order to hand out more? Want to hear what everybody thinks. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
To a new shooter trophies are great to win, even if they are the $2 plastic panda bears, as long as it comes with a plate that indicates how it was won.
Winning a nice leather shooting bag or some shell pouches are great trophies too, but just how many can a trap shooter use.
The more you shoot those cheap trinkets and even the nice bags begin to mean less and less. Now I'd almost rather win a few boxes of shells.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
For small, 'regular' shoots, I don't think trinkets (per se) are much of a big thing, one way or another.

Fun, well-run shoots & good atmosphere are more important to most, I think.

That said, you have to price the shoots accordingly: an embossed Shamrock bag for each class winner, cheap buckles for 2 & 3 ... people will pay $25 for 'targets & trophies'.

Bragging Rights shoots, $18. Throw a green bird and have a mid-50 pot for a couple of bucks extra.

Pie & Meat shoots are always popular, too.

Steal other folk's successful ideas shamelessly, of course. Invite other clubs, and go to their shoots, too.

The secret is to build participation ... then poll the shooters what they want.

Pick up the phone and talk to BGC, Fennville, OGC, WCGC ... Mike Hessong* at Victoria in Texas about 'fun shoots', etc.

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
You raise an interesting question. When I first started shooting and had no trophies of any kind, I was really into the nice, big, shiny hardware. Trap league trophies were usually the best ones, but I recall being disappointed when I won my first Class D ATA event and received a pair of beer glasses with a medallion of a dog affixed.

However, after a few years and some success, I realized I had a whole bunch of trophies and no appropriate place to show them off. Later, the clubs I shot at started giving plaques. That was fine because they could be hung on the wall of my office. However, after a while, these also became too numerous.

I guess the bottom line is that very likely your newer shooters will really appreciate the hardware, while seasoned (winning) shooters might like a plaque or buckle or something as a memento, but would prefer the prize money be given in cash, not trophies.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Trophies are not important, I go to the Grand cause it is so cold here in NH!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
An old friend would put a trophy in his trunk the day he was going shooting. When he got home in the evening he was sure to have a trophy to show the neighbors as he was unloading his gear.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The bigger the shoot,the more important the trophy. My one from the 2005 Vandalia Grand will always be treasured. Brings back pleasant memories. The story behind the trophy is priceless. I donated my smaller ones to give out to Children with emotional,mental problems. They love getting a reward for most any accomplishment. Clyde Doll

·
Registered
99 Posts
Money will be spent. Shells will be shot. 10 years from now I can still see the trophies big or small. Memories should be documented by something.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
To the new shooters it is great to get trophies. Like a lot of us here I have a bunch of D,C,B and a few A trophies with a good sampling of Handicap trophies as well. I still like to get them, I like Buckels the best, KGC in Kingsburg, Ca. does a real good job of giving Buckels. As always the handicap buckels are always the most expensive, second grade is Singles and so so in DBL's. It's a numbers, thing I know.

If you win money or shells as just and entry prize (not playing games just shoot fees) then there is nothing to remember, I am in favor of trophies and pretty much only shoot at events that offer these.

If the Guys that think they have too many trophies and buckels, well give some back to clubs that are not dated but are relivent to current events and make some new and not so new shooters happy. It will save clubs some money and you get to feel good for being charitable to all concerned.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I enjoy all my trophies. As time goes by they are a reminder of good times. I've started a new collection in Indiana.

Rich (Pa boy) in Indiana

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We took some kids to a small ata shoot last winter, I think it cost $20 to enter, one of the kids got first in D class.. the prize.. $8.00 he didnt want to come back for the next one..

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Just an FYI.....my old club, the Lethbridge (Alberta) Trap Club had a policy that each trophy was worth twice the entry fee for an event and double the total fees for HOA....shooters liked it and came back...plus the steak BBQ was killer....

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like any type of trophies...plaques are my favorite since you can hang them on the wall, plates, belt buckles, and regualar trophies are all ok in my books. It shows an accomplishment and memories.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.