Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone is having a safe, happy and covid free 4th. We have a semi large family gathering but nothing as large as usual. Fish fry, corn on the cob and so on.
All but one of my extended family on the men side like to shoot and a handful of the Sheila’s join in every year to break lots of clays. Several different games with 5 throwers this year.
Reason for the question is as we were finishing up just now one of my nephews has a new Mossberg with an extended mag, I think it holds 8 or 9 and he said he was gonna run through the shells he had left over as fast as he could to break in his new “Ghetto Sweeper”. Turns out he had 7 boxes left. It’s pushing 90* outside and about box 4 his gun is smoking and the barrel could melt the plastic from a hull-I watched him do it-. I told him he might ought to let that thing cool off but he’s at that age where he knows it all. Said he was getting Old Mossy loosened up.
My question is how hot can a gun get before it starts causing damage. I’m gonna eat another bowl of apple crisp covered in homemade ice cream before I get to light off the fireworks after dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like he got it about hot enough. I would be concerned with possibly warping the barrel and have to wonder how any lube would be holding up may end up galded up

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
I know with full auto you can hear the rate of fire change as things heat up and watched a AK set it’s hand guard ablaze yet keep firing. I’d consider that too hot.
Our forend iron gets blistering hot as well but nowhere near melting a hull I’d assume.
Friday I shot a round by myself in 95* temps and couldn’t touch my barrel. Tubes stayed tight though...
If you could melt a hull I’d be a little concerned about the rounds in the magazine.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
I think I'd be more worried about melting a plastic bit first. The heat could drive the volatiles out of any oil/grease and you have a wonderful valve grinding compound left - just add some OK dust.

Metal should be OK other than a burn risk - you could razz him and mention that if the metal gets too hot he might burn off his nail polish.

Mossberg has a rock-solid warranty, so if he exceeds reason and common sense through youthful exuberance he should be covered...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I have a buddy who went to Argentina a few times on a high volume dove hunts.

He shot nothing but Beretta 391 semi-autos on these hunts, and said that due to the heat of his guns, he had to wear leather gloves so that his hands wouldn't get burned. I'm talking about the
wooden FOREARM getting hot enough to burn your hands!

Said his gun got so hot, the air actually smelled like the inside of a welding shop!

This is one of the many reasons I swear by Beretta semi-auto shotguns.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If it had been a rifle, the rifling would have been damaged, but with a shotgun I would be more worried about any moving parts getting hot and wearing.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I've wondered about resting a break open gun with a shell in it on my toe pad after about 75-80 shots during really hot weather. So far so good.

·
Registered
904 Posts
When you can smell the man on the next post...It's Too Hot to shoot.
I shot with a dude on Friday during the caps event in Elysburg that stunk so freakin' bad. He was on the 25 and I was on the next post on the 26 with the wind taking his smell right to me. That's never happened before. Yea...it was hot but that dude stunk.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hope everyone is having a safe, happy and covid free 4th. We have a semi large family gathering but nothing as large as usual. Fish fry, corn on the cob and so on.
All but one of my extended family on the men side like to shoot and a handful of the Sheila’s join in every year to break lots of clays. Several different games with 5 throwers this year.
Reason for the question is as we were finishing up just now one of my nephews has a new Mossberg with an extended mag, I think it holds 8 or 9 and he said he was gonna run through the shells he had left over as fast as he could to break in his new “Ghetto Sweeper”. Turns out he had 7 boxes left. It’s pushing 90* outside and about box 4 his gun is smoking and the barrel could melt the plastic from a hull-I watched him do it-. I told him he might ought to let that thing cool off but he’s at that age where he knows it all. Said he was getting Old Mossy loosened up.
My question is how hot can a gun get before it starts causing damage. I’m gonna eat another bowl of apple crisp covered in homemade ice cream before I get to light off the fireworks after dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When the heat comes with profuse perspiration and the unshakable thought that you're uncomfortable, it's too hot to shoot!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I shot with a dude on Friday during the caps event in Elysburg that stunk so freakin' bad. He was on the 25 and I was on the next post on the 26 with the wind taking his smell right to me. That's never happened before. Yea...it was hot but that dude stunk.
Psychological warfare going on right there. He is making you concentrate on his stink and not the targets. Anything to beat the competition.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I am in the HVAC industry, we were in an attic on Wednesday and the temp measured with an electronic thermometer was 114 degrees. I have been in hotter but for less of a time. We use the high velocity fans that do help but watch the fluids intake carefully. I was surprised solar panels on the roof and still hot as the devil.

Jim

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I think it was the second year at Sparta, I watched a guy shooting Make-up singles, by himself, 200 target event, the temperature indicator said it was 111 degrees! it did not look like a lotta fun !

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in the HVAC industry, we were in an attic on Wednesday and the temp measured with an electronic thermometer was 114 degrees. I have been in hotter but for less of a time. We use the high velocity fans that do help but watch the fluids intake carefully. I was surprised solar panels on the roof and still hot as the devil.

Jim
You along with electricians and plumbers do not get paid enough. Attics in the summer or in the crawl space under a house with a water/sewer leak and I'll gladly pay the man!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You seem like a pretty tough guy. You can probably hold your hand on a hot water pipe at 150 degrees for a couple seconds. Plastic melts at 340. Steel - about 2,500 degrees.

I think your nephew is right on this one for loosening up old mossy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've had a 22-250 hot enough that it smelled like you were frying bacon. Way to hot to touch and it did get a little sticky working the bolt. I've heard tell of rifles being hot enough to cook off a round in the chamber. Not sure if it's so but I know being in a dog town on a 100+ day can be tough on rifles. I've also been told that's why they make new barrels so that you can make trophies out of the shot out ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts