Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I recently bought a model 12 on Gun Broker described as "excellent condition". Got the gun and it in fact looked good. First time I shot it, slam fired at about 30th shot and I shot the trap house. I thought, "Dummy you touched the trigger when closing the gun". Not so when it did it a second time (this time I didn't get the Trap House). Then I deliberately tried it, sure enough, gun sporadically slam fired.
It is off at Stuart Wright's getting fixed. Be careful and practice gun safety.
Cant believe the guy who sold me the gun didn't know about it's problem.
Jim

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I shot a pigeon box once. I shoot a release pull and the barrel selector somehow had got switched. I was not shooting well to begin with and the incident really rattled me not to mention the embarrassment. At least it didn't break the box. I'll bet there was a pile of pigeon sht in it though.

Darr

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Back in the days when San Diego shotgun sports was still open, the manager of the range (Layne) would have a bucket of trap house paint readily available. He would walk over and hand you the bucket and a brush and you got to re-paint the house if you happened to shoot it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Back in the early 70's we we're shooting a 500 bird marathon at the old Little Cedar Gun Club in northern Iowa. The place was run by an old gentleman known as Sharkey. Everyone from Iowa knows who Sharkey is. LOL

Sharkey had decided he needed to go to a release trigger and this was his first attempt at it. When Sharkey mounted his gun he always held high and bounced his gun down when he called for the target. You guessed it, on the bounce "BOOM" perfect pattern center of house. I hear low mumbling next to me and he reloads and yep another center shot on the bounce. Mumbling gets louder. I thought, he'll get it now. Wrong. Boom center shot number 3, No longer mumbling, is now very loud, very profane diatribe on release triggers. We are all in tears laughing and I think that bothered him more than the accidental discharges. He then pro-ceded to break the next 97 targets for the 1st hundred and 399 out of the next 400 for a 496 total. I guess he got it figured out.

Damndest thing I' ve ever seen, but that was Sharkey. One of a kind.

Ken

·
Registered
685 Posts
un explained accidents can always be lurking in any sport .most of the trap house hits i see are from release trigger users. sometimes they get out of sync and you can pull thru them. which means the hook or pin has not restrained the hammer . release triggers should have regular check ups. sometimes its operators mistake to. SAFETY AND THINKING IS OUR RESPONSIBILTY. keep keeping it pointed down range. thnks for reading this howard

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have seen the house shot many a time when the gun of choice was a model 12. In fact I have been in the house when it was it was shot. Thanks to the steel plate did not get hurt. Ears rang for while.

I also witnessed a young man shoot his toe off. There was a problem with the trap and this kid put the barrel on his shoe. When he went to mount the gun must have pulled the trigger. I guess he is still walking around with only nine toes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How far do you have to lead one to hit it ? MX8Dave
I have seen a few trap houses used accidently as pattern boards but a mate of mine told me of a most serious accident at a club he was shooting at here in oz.Seems that there was a park near the gun club where miniature planes were flown by a group of enthusiasts who on occasions did not respect the air space of the gun club.They were warned of an impending disaster . Lane 3,straightaway target ,perfect timing,one smoked clay plus bits of wing and tail and motor.Terrible!!

·
Banned
694 Posts
I wouldn't dare mention his name but a shooter from our Great State of Missouri shot the control box in the front 100 of 16's and shot right beside it on the next 100, missed it the 2nd time. S--T happens. Yes, Release Trigger. Some Dumb as Kid!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Happened to me with my IAB . My firing pin was out and i never closed the gun and reopened it after putting it together. Threw a shell in it and when I closed it she went off. Still a little nervous when I Close a gun now. It scared the .... Out of me

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
heres my ranges rules.........
ya know? i never had it happen here yet!
-------------
rule 21 - Don’t shoot the houses. If you do, confess and paint it.
I've never shot the house but I did let one go last week because my hands were so cold.

jack mc

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have seen it on almost every ATA shot. (once a month) People holding their guns to tight . But the shoters are holding their guns down range, and are in control of the gun. I would call it "shoter's mastake".
Carry On

·
Registered
4 Posts
was at a shoot 2 years ago. There was an older gentleman that had a BT99 with a release trigger. Someone ask him how long he had been shooting release and he said 20+yrs. Was ask if he ever shot the back of the traphouse and he said no. He was on the first squad out and on his first shot, you guessed it, he shot the light out on the back of the trap house. He replied "there's always the first time". We all still laugh about it still today.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Bad enough when it's shot with lead shot but if it happens with steel, it bounces back! Duck & cover!!! Always wear your glasses!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Bottom line, guns are mechanical devices which sometimes malfunction, shooters are human and occasionally make mistakes. Be safe!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts