Trapshooters Forum banner

Do you perceive this as wrong?

• The shooter should not adjust the traps only club managment..even if the shooter IS club management

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • The shooter IS club management and can adjust his own targets, other shooters understand.

Votes: 13 21.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A discussion with two board members are getting a different opinion.. He is watching this poll as well so I am going to do my best to not SWAY or paint each side any differently or at least I am going to try to. Here is what happened.

At a fun shoot the program was 100 targets with sliding yardage after each 25. Each box to be shot on 4 traps so all had to shoot same traps. Two of the clubs board members start with trap one and hoop set each trap. The winds were fairly constant at a 10 mph breeze and had remained the same or relatively the same since the beginning when set with the hoop.

The two board members (setters) were on the first squad so they could get through the shoot and quickly relieve the other counter workers so they could shoot. They shoot the first 3 traps and when they get to the final trap (trap 4) One of the board members says...."those targets look high" he than goes down in the trap and turns them down without any hoop to set by. **at this point no one has shot this trap yet and all have to shoot it**

All squads have shot this same setting until the last squad. Lots of comments that it was to low but no one is asking for a re-check so we keep moving on.

Results, The board member that made the change won the program. Other shooters NEVER asked for a re-set but yet after its all done we hear some griping. The gripe is stated as........."what gives any shooter the right to set his/her own targets?

It is one board members opinion that this person WAS the target setter for the day and regardless if he used a hoop or his eyeball he had every right to do this and people will not look at him as cheating or percieve this as wrong.

It is another board members opinion that no target should ever be set without the hoop and if that person that set them is shooting that ANOTHER person other than himself should be doing the re-setting or people may perceive this as "cheating or wrong".

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
This should elicit a ton of responses.
It was a fun shoot. This is a question of perception as no rules were broken.
Maybe not the best decision to reset without a hoop. But it is done all the time.
I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

It is another board members opinion that no target should ever be set without the hoop and if that person that set them is shooting that ANOTHER person other than himself should be doing the re-setting or people may perceive this as "cheating or wrong".
That is just his opinion.

This will go around and around and end up no where.
Except to PO another hard working volunteer.

JMHO YMMV

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I go with board member #2. Specs are set for targets. They shouldn't be set without being checked. Its all about the "perception." Just not a smart move to set your own targets when competing against others. Common sense......or maybe not so common.

·
Banned
232 Posts
I'm curious as to why no one else asked to have the traps re set or at least checked after the first squad? If the shooter on the last squad thought they were
low and even though all the other squads shot them why did they not ask to have them checked at the minimum? I don't have a problem with the shooter
(as club management) changing the targets and I also don't have a problem with not using a hoop or t-bar because everyone on the squad would have to approve them as well as all the other squads to follow can have them checked as well.

JMO, YMMV

·
Registered
300 Posts
i can see this both ways so won't vote on the poll, as what sticks out to me is in the explanation of the situation where to me the key word is "fun" shoot. If this was intended to truly be a "fun" shoot, then the focus should have been on keeping it fun. If one person enjoyed shooting lower targets and there were no objections from his squad mates and they adjusted them to their liking, there should have been nothing preventing the ensuing shooters to have them set to their preference. After all, they paid to shoot this "fun" shoot and should be allowed to shoot targets they enjoy. But, as you can clearly see, rarely do "fun" shoots (or for that matter, anything for fun) stay as just for fun as soon as scores are kept and competition kicks in. Just human nature. You can't hardly fault the guy that moved them for being smart enough to move them where he liked them and shot them good over the guys who had the same option but weren't smart enough to move them where they wanted, then gripe about it. Probably a lesson was learned by all? The winner will hesitate to move them in the future because of the gripes he heard, and the losers might be more apt to ask for a change? Hopefully the fun outweighed the gripes?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Once you step to the line you are no longer management and until you are done your event, you are a competetor. Why weren't the targets properly set prior to the first squad taking the line.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
770 Posts
You need another option in the poll. One that says the trap should not have been reset without checking proper height and distance. -Ed

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Two things, first, all shot the same targets. Whats the beef?
Second, I would have used the T-Bar or hoop, in this case, to make sure the target was proper. Jake

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I am with j2jake. The 2 shooters on the first squad were the target setting committee. All shooters shot the same targets.
That said the reset should have been done with the "hoop", since the target was originally set with the "hoop".

There are more questions as to the practices of the club.

Does the club reset the targets if any shooter to request that the targets be reset or at least show with the "hoop" that the targets are legal?

Does the club reset any targets that become illegal during a shoot due to wind when the targets were originally set in still air per the rules?

Jason

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Management should have reset the targets when it became obvious they were too low. For the "setter" to wait until the last squad (when HE was shooting) just doesn't smell right. Nothing saying management has to wait for a request from a shooter to reset.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Old Cowboy,

The target setters were on the first squad. Earlier they are the ones that set the targets with the hoop. So in a sense Management did reset the targets when they appeared too high. But the hoop was not brought out to confirm that they were now too high. Later squads thought that they were now low, but did not request a check or reset.

Jason

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The target setters are on the first squad, get to the 4th field and think the targets are too high and set them lower. That is their job. End of story.

I have had targets reset, I have seen targets reset and I have reset targets. I can't remember a single instance where the reset was rechecked with a hoop. Usually it is just up or down a notch or two and maybe half a crank if the machine has sped up or slowed down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts