Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making my own shot and wonder how to measure roundness. I saw one video where a guy talked about rolling shot down an incline then tossing out the ones that don't roll. I suppose you could count the rejects in a pound or so, tweak the shot making setup and try again. The incline would need to be the same each time you measure.

I'm particularly motivated after Chipmaker's awesome thread showing his new creation. However, for me, Chimaker's approach is way over my capability and resources. I'd be going the minimalist route and admit I'd be using (stealing; but he did it to share his ideas and accomplishments) his concept of preheating the lead before the dripper receives it. I would need a way to measure the temp of the lead in each vessel in order to follow Chip's temperature guidelines.

I wouldn't do this without a reliable way to measure my final success in shot roundness. Any help?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Why worry about it? The target won't know the difference. I made shot for a couple of years and couldn't see a difference in patterns or performance if the shot was slightly out of round.

·
Registered
767 Posts
even if you start with perfectly round shot, by the time it leaves the barrel a large percentage will have lost their "roundness"

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
It's "Sphericity," and my club uses a Zeiss CMM with a really, teeny-tiny touch sphere.

...you mean your club doesn't do it that way?

·
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even in the videos I can see shot that is poor, but Chip's looks uniform. I can tell he's got them beat and maybe that's good enough.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Uniform and round are two different things. Mine is uniform and somewhat less than spherical, Yet it performs well.

Jim

·
Supporting Vendor
5,713 Posts
I used to examine factory shells for quality and consistency. The way I checked the shot for roundness was to roll it along a v-groove in a piece of Plexiglas. I made the groove by tilting the blade in my table saw to 45 degrees. Shot from the good shells would roll easily along the groove. It was easy to spot the miss-formed shot.

Jim Skeel

·
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good range of answers from it doesn't matter (3), to sarcastic, which is a good self check because maybe just eye balling it is good enough, to the plexiglass 'v'.

Thanks. Later, Joe

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
"sphericity"...Zeiss CMM....Got it..!!
I expect I should run that check after weighing each piece so I'm not wasting time checking sphericity on those (few) pieces of shot that fall outside my acceptable +/- weight range.
I like the V-groove plexiglass idea too..!! (Thanks Jim). I'll start running'em down the V-channel..slowly...so I can get a better piece count when filling the shells. You all DO count the number of shot in each shell don't you...???
'
'
'
'
Just kiddin'....Thanks for providing this opportunity to chuckle this morning.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I was going to suggest just looking at a sample of the shot, Joe, and inventing two mental categories. Call them Round and Not round. Select from the sample and put each pellet into one of the categories. The percentage of each you get from some bag might be interesting.

In fact, that's what I intend to do myself. Come May, I'll load up eleven shells of each and pattern them through a very good gun and, using Shotgun-Insight to get a real answer, see if there is any difference.

I think there won't be any difference at all. And all you here - what do you predict?

Neil

·
Premium Member
11,862 Posts
I agree with you Neil. I don't believe the patterns will be measurably different.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I run all my shot through a special press which makes them square. The little squares break the birds much better than the spheres. HMB

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I run all my shot through a special press which makes them square. The little squares break the birds much better than the spheres. HMB

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Been shooting homemade for a couple of years. It is not round, so forget about that. Hardness may be more important. I did a Neil Winston type test using homemade vs Rem mag shot. 1 oz loads, ten shots each. Counted pellets and holes. The Rem shot was 2.5% better PE at 40yds. I don't think there is any real difference. I didn't actually try to analyze patterns, they "looked" about the same, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Been shooting homemade for a couple of years. It is not round, so forget about that. Hardness may be more important. I did a Neil Winston type test using homemade vs Rem mag shot. 1 oz loads, ten shots each. Counted pellets and holes. The Rem shot was 2.5% better PE at 40yds. I don't think there is any real difference. I didn't actually try to analyze patterns, they "looked" about the same, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'll have to agree with Neil, I don't think there will be a significant difference.

Like Jerry my shot is not round, But it patterns about like any other and a lot of the factory shells too.

Jim

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'll have to agree with Neil, I don't think there will be a significant difference.

Like Jerry my shot is not round, But it patterns about like any other and a lot of the factory shells too.

Jim

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Orvis sells spreader loads with shot hammered flat. The russians used to have Int'l skeet loads specially for each station, including square for station 8.
The more spherical the pellets are, the truer they will fly.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Orvis sells spreader loads with shot hammered flat. The russians used to have Int'l skeet loads specially for each station, including square for station 8.
The more spherical the pellets are, the truer they will fly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Joe: You get Raccoons to sort the pellets for you.

They are good at it and do a helluva job! :)

Randy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.