Trapshooters Forum banner

How do you keep count

4429 Views 43 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  mcneeley5
How do you keep count of the rounds through your gun? If you only shoot ATA that would be easy but I shoot on 4 different leagues Jackpots and now ATA.
If I had to guess 18,000 since my last pit stop but I really have no idea.
Note book just isn't me.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
8,298 Posts
How do you keep count of the rounds through your gun? If you only shoot ATA that would be easy but I shoot on 4 different leagues Jackpots and now ATA.
Note book just isn't me.
Why would you want to?

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Because I'm a nerd by trade I get paid well to be anal, I keep a log and use an application to track my round use, scores and stupid human errors. I spend a couple minutes after each day of shooting and keep it simple.

· Registered
231 Posts
i keep a simple google spreadsheet doc on my phone so I can update it at my convenience, either at the range waiting or once I get home,

I started with my daughter's skeet gun just to see how many rounds she was really shooting, her scores and different gauges (of course the 20ga tubes get the bulk of the work) and when we started getting other guns just as a point of reference.

It's been very helpful to actually see how much we both shoot since we are really just recreational/club shooters.
2 trap guns, 2 skeet/sporting guns

At the new year I had a choice between buying a loader or another years worth of shells, I could quickly calculate our shooting for the last two years to get an accurate need for near future.

· Registered
6,610 Posts
Note book just isn't me.
Let the jackpots be a WAG, but league should should be very quantifiable as they are fairly constant totals, four, five, six or eight hundred targets per league.
For example last summer I shot two leagues an eight week league and ten week league nine hundred total shots. At that point all you have to remember is weeks in the leagues and the number will jump at you without much thinking.

ATA is easy, leagues will not be much harder and WAG or EG (wild or Educated guesses) will be close enough.

Al

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I have an app called myArmsCache. I use it primarily for inventory management, but it will also calculate the number of rounds through any of your firearms .

I honestly don’t care about round count . I have a way of buying new shotguns before ever wearing one out .

· Registered
7,249 Posts
Lets see, after I fire it once, it is a used gun. Then I stop counting. At least for shotguns. Long range rifle round counts are kept in a log book.

Reactions: N Bare
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.