Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also I apologize to you all I was tryin to reply to everyone but my phone won't let me use the quote deal to tag who I was replying to.

·
Registered
24,626 Posts
Also I apologize to you all I was tryin to reply to everyone but my phone won't let me use the quote deal to tag who I was replying to.
Hit “reply”. To reply to and include the post.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Although the PC left does not like the word, in fact some people are born Handicap. When they gain employment they are working. So to answer your question that is how Handicap Works.

Reactions: charleyj10

·
Registered
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
791 Posts
I do honestly try to break as many as I can as do the other two on my team. But as I mentioned were new to it so we're obviously not the best at it. 14-16 is about where I'm at now so hopefully by the end of this league I can up it some more yet.
trapshootinkid25's first answer was pretty spot on. Just shoot the best you can (we were all knew to the shooting sports one time ourselves), and your scores will improve to reflect you new ability. Enjoy the learning experience and find shooters to help you get better; and just "let the cards play out as they may" !!! Have fun, and shoot as much as you can afford to.

Mike* (MH*)

·
Registered
477 Posts
What would be considered a fair handicap system for a small club league for guys that shoot say 9 to 12 scores with guys who could shoot say an occasional straight?

Been in a league where honest to God they had a shoot off where the handicap could get the score of 28s and 29s so basically the better shooters did not have a chance.

I can handle getting my butt whipped but pencil whipped nope.

Any links to good handicap systems you have used?

Thanks.

Not to hijack this thread it can be moved.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What would be considered a fair handicap system for a small club league for guys that shoot say 9 to 12 scores with guys who could shoot say an occasional straight?

Been in a league where honest to God they had a shoot off where the handicap could get the score of 28s and 29s so basically the better shooters did not have a chance.

I can handle getting my butt whipped but pencil whipped nope.

Any links to good handicap systems you have used?

Thanks.

Not to hijack this thread it can be moved.
Our league handicap scores are calculated on the computer. We have a computer programmer at our club and he wrote the program to only allow a maximum handicap score of 24 1/2.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome to the forum weasel_97. I think we shoot at the same gun club
There are plenty of shooters that are willing to help just ask, but remember not all advice is valid. I believe you shoot well and will improve with experience.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I competed with rifle, pistol and shotgun in various sports since the 70's.

I have never pulled a trigger that was not my full honest effort to make an accurate shot. Any pin, medal, belt buckle or plaque or cash for that matter, that a person can win manipulating numbers is not worth pickup up off the table. I almost hate shooting with prizes, as that always brings out he worst in people. If making the highest score is not how you win, I don't want to play the game.

I never even "gamed" the clock in bracket racing. I ran as fast as I could, every run, if I lost because I broke out, I changed my dial in time.

What ever you are shooting, just concentrate on learning the game and apply yourself to do well. Your scores will go up. If you end up the highest score, someone will let you know.

·
Registered
24,626 Posts
I mean I'm not doing horrible I don't guess first week I broke 14 second I broke 15 and I shot 16 in a practice round. I'm not purposefully shooting bad I'm shooting what I can. I wasn't meaning they said to shoot worse just that I would have a better chance of winning by having a lower score in the beginning because somehow the handicap is supposed to help me keep pace with the better shooters.
Those are pretty good beginner scores. Just pay attention to your shots and you’ll soon be one of those “better” shooters.

Reactions: weasel_97

·
Registered
210 Posts
We use the online program Shooting Leagues Management at Shooting Leagues Management
It works very well. When you set up your league you pick various parameters to customize your scoring algorithm. We set it up to favor the new shooter. Our league is 50 targets per week and you must shoot a 50/50 to record that score.You can set the max allowed score for handicap score.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts