Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all this I know guns and I've hunted my whole life but just recently just started shooting trap and im currently shooting in a 5 stand league. I somewhat understand the handicap deal but every explanation I get is different and confuses me to no end. Can anyone dumb it down to where I can understand it?

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,413 Posts
Could you give some context? Handicap will vary depending on league, derby, registered, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 5 stand league I'm in basically all I was told was to shoot worse at the beginning so you could play your handicap and still have a chance against the better shooters there. To which I said that wouldn't be a problem bc I don't shoot as good as them anyway. Lol

·
Registered
24,662 Posts
So the 5 stand league I'm in basically all I was told was to shoot worse at the beginning so you could play your handicap and still have a chance against the better shooters there. To which I said that wouldn't be a problem bc I don't shoot as good as them anyway. Lol
Don’t walk. Run. Away from whatever fool gave you that advice. Start hanging out with the better shooters. ALWAYS shoot to win.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean I'm not doing horrible I don't guess first week I broke 14 second I broke 15 and I shot 16 in a practice round. I'm not purposefully shooting bad I'm shooting what I can. I wasn't meaning they said to shoot worse just that I would have a better chance of winning by having a lower score in the beginning because somehow the handicap is supposed to help me keep pace with the better shooters.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Glad to read that you are not purposefully shooting bad. That would be sandbagging/cheating.

ATA handicap rules can be found on line on the ATA site. 2021_Rulebook_web.pdf (shootata.com)

5 Stand is Sporting Clays, shooters are assigned Classes.
If the local club assigns handicaps, the rules should be written down.
If not just talk to the person running the shoot.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
It sounds to me like your not-so-savory buddy is referring to a league handicap. Every league does it differently. But after you establish an average, they will give you a handicap that adds to your score. The idea is that on any given night, if you shoot better than average, you increase your team’s chance of winning.

Handicap in trapshooting is based on yardage. Some leagues also do score handicapping. This is a place for trapshooting first, but many shoot different disciplines here. Just remember to be specific when asking questions on forums to get the best answers.

In your current case: Shoot the best you can and let someone else figure out the rest.

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Covered already

·
Registered
33,590 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
I'm new to all this I know guns and I've hunted my whole life but just recently just started shooting trap and im currently shooting in a 5 stand league. I somewhat understand the handicap deal but every explanation I get is different and confuses me to no end. Can anyone dumb it down to where I can understand it?
I don't think anyone here can answer your question specifically unless they are also part of that same league.

I've not heard of different handicap yardages being used for 5 stand. Do you mean classes instead of yardages?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Not sure how a handicap would work in a 5 stand league. But basically the purpose of a handicap is to level the playing field so less skilled individuals have a chance at competing against those of higher skills.

The only problem with this is that usually those that have the higher skills regardless of "handicaps" placed on them are still good enough to win. Atleast in ATA trap. Can't speak for skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays etc.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I don't think anyone here can answer your question specifically unless they are also part of that same league.

I've not heard of different handicap yardages being used for 5 stand. Do you mean classes instead of yardages?
Agreed. Would need to know what that league does.

But I think they are handicapping with scores instead of yardage, like with a bowling or golf league.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
If there is money involved one or more of the shooters are trying to figure out a way to beat the system and all the other shooters.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
"Weasel_97" is being coached in the fine art of being a weasel.

There is no official handicapping in sporting clays/5 stand. You compete in classes, but only against the others in class. In leagues and fun shoots you are sometimes required to shoot the first 3-4 shoots to determine an average. That average could place you in a class to compete only against a portion of the field, or you could be given an "X bird" handicap to let you compete against the whole field. Some fun sporting tournaments grant you an X-bird handicap based on gauge so that a 28ga-shooter will be given, say, 5-10 targets. That way 75 with a 28ga "beats" an 84 with a 12 gauge.

In any event, laying up early to get a lower classification or a higher handicap is the hallmark of weaseldom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol weasel was a nickname my dad gave me when I was little. But how you explained this did help that's more than I've got from about anyone else. I don't purposefully shoot bad for it I'm just not that great at it I can usually break 22 or 23 on trap. But the 5 stand is way more difficult for me. And I shoot a different gun for each so that's part of the problem I think.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That would be "sandbagging". Break all you can break while you can. Some day, you might not be able to.
Jonathan Taylor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be "sandbagging". Break all you can break while you can. Some day, you might not be able to.
Jonathan Taylor
I do honestly try to break as many as I can as do the other two on my team. But as I mentioned were new to it so we're obviously not the best at it. 14-16 is about where I'm at now so hopefully by the end of this league I can up it some more yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts