Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a general question about the ways you have nicked, dinged, bent, cracked, rusted, or broken your shotgun. The goal is to help others not repeat our mistakes.

How did it happen?

What was broken or damaged?

How did you get over it?

I'll go first, all of my significant damage has come while cleaning the guns or while extracting them from the gun safe. Once by shotgun slid while resting on the end of the table during cleaning and hit a metal chair putting a nice dent in the fore-end wood. I spent the next several hours ironing and steaming the dent and eventually got it mostly out.

Another time I was pulling a cleaning patch through the barrel vigorously and when it came free from the barrel, and the next thing I knew the barrel and gun rest were flying through the air to the ground. This put a couple of nice dings in the rib and a chip in my floor. I cold blued the gouges, but could do nothing about the dings.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine was from letting my son try using the hand thrower for the first time. The result was a clay hitting the forearm on my new gun. Lots of little dents but fortunately it didn't hit me in the face...

Reactions: JACK

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Well let’s see. I dropped the forearm of my Browning on the concrete floor, had to sand and refinish the forearm.
Next gun, I leaned it against my truck and backed over the whole gun when it slid to the ground. Thankfully, very soft ground and no damage except to my pride for being so stupid. BTW, I no longer own those guns!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I posted recently about my CXT, I had the butt stock under my arm securing it to the side of my body to eject the shells .. the rear sight on my S&W Shield was coming in contact with my stock …

stock.jpg

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
How did it happen?
Like a dumba$$ I have too many guns in the safe. My trap gun (closest to the front) was too close to the door. The acorn nuts that hold the padded front panel to the inside of the door dinged the fore end wood.

What was broken or damaged?
Two or three "pressure sores" on the left side of the fore end.

How did you get over it?
I'll edit my reply if that ever happens.

·
Vendor
19,215 Posts
The club door was mis adjusted (maladjusted in this case) and as I exited the door came back and dinged the stock. And if you use the forend sock from Negrini sooner or later you will drop the forend on the floor/ground. Always work over carpet or grass

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Dropped the forend onto concrete floor, it landed on the metal part, the tip of it, bounced back up and I caught it before it hit again but not before the impact had split it.
Off to factory for a new forend.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Letting others handle my (better) guns with their rings/watches/bracelets on. Learned the hard way, with a bunch of nice ring marks around the grip area of a stock I had freshly refinished. Want to fondle my gun ? No problem, but your JEWELRY COMES OFF FIRST PLEASE!!
No more of these for me !

3eea3825-6b1a-4109-83ac-fb84c464d4a7_1.124717f1d40d2222834daa2d90d121fc.jpeg

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Set screws came loose on my adjustable comb. Comb fell to pavement as I was placing gun into car. Lucky it only left a very small hard to see mark.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got the stock of my m21 on a fence out in SD chasing ringnecks

I had the stock under my armpit cradling the action (broken open) and bend to pick up a hull and scrape. Wtf??

Later that trip fell in a badger hold chasing a wounded rooster and Superman flopped landing face first knocking myself out cold breaking the stock at the wrist where all my weight landed

Forgot about the scratch

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lots of various things from the time I was a kid. For me, these mistakes were the lessons that stuck... just wish it all could have happened to the same gun instead of over the years. That said, for the most part the dings and scratches are inevitable and become part of the story/patina.

1. Sent the barrels in to be pro-ported
2. Wearing a watch with a metal wristband (forearm dings)
3. Wrong solvent on gold inlay
4. Not properly lubing trunnions
5. Putting into a sealed case while still warm
6. Dinging rib on gun racks at the club
7. Not wiping down fingerprints right away
8. Dinging against Americase while putting away/taking out
9. Not being careful/precise when putting it together
10. Using a penny as a snap cap/chipping firing pin.
11. Gun on rack mounted to back of golf cart scrapping against bushes/low hanging branches/etc.
12. Not properly cleaning and using grease on choke tubes
13. Using a generic case that didn't have my name on the outside. Gun went on a duck hunting trip to Mexico without me and the guy didn't even have the courtesy to give me a bird or two as a thank you/apology.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Low house 7, target came out of house broken right into my hand/forearm on a relatively new Beretta 682. A little blood and a few nice dings, the first ones are the worst.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In my haste to get to the line I did not have the choke tube in all the way resulting in the choke tube being destroyed and the end of the barrel damaged.
Luckily no one was injured but barrel had to be replaced. At the least haste and destruction can be expensive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts