Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I was a member of an indoor pistol range and at least once a year I'd have to weld up some holes in the plates used to deflect bullets into the trap. One guy was caught shooting a m 1 garand! This was a 25 yard range. Members had keys and could shoot anytime they wanted. Catching some idiot doing this was just blind chance.

· Registered
5,670 Posts
I once put a steel plate up to protect an electrical box down range. I painted "Do Not Shoot" on it. The range had between 50 and 100 steel gongs, swingers, and plates down range to shoot at. The paint was beat off the steel plate over the electrical box within a week.
"Do Not Shoot"? LOL. You may as well have put a bullseye on it with a sign that said "Hit the bullseye and win $5.00":cool:

· Registered
102 Posts
Speedluvn:

It is a poi board. Covered with grease

Ron Burdick
Thank you! My club uses a wooden frame with large rolls of paper.
I never fully understood the grease board style of patterning board.
I understand the slug shot but are the other shots larger than 7 1/2 shot making the imprints into the steel grease board. What keeps the smaller shot from bouncing off?

· Registered
36,815 Posts
Thank you! My club uses a wooden frame with large rolls of paper.
I never fully understood the grease board style of patterning board.
I understand the slug shot but are the other shots larger than 7 1/2 shot making the imprints into the steel grease board. What keeps the smaller shot from bouncing off?
The shot hits the steel plate and drops to the ground. You can see it happen. Using a grease board instead of paper is preferable to some like myself, because while I can see what the shot pattern is at a glance, I am not looking for what a pattern looks like, but where shot placement is.

You use a paint roller to smooth out the grease, step back 30 yards, shoot 3 rounds at the same spot on the grease board you you can tell instantly where you POI is. Smooth over the grease and do it again. Takes minutes instead of hours to see where your shot placement is When you look down your barrel.

· Registered
36,815 Posts
Rules are posted at the one I use, but people still shoot slugs or steel shots at it even though they are prohibited. People don’t pay attention to rules.

· Registered
102 Posts
Rules are posted at the one I use, but people still shoot slugs at it even though they are prohibited. People don’t pay attention to rules.
Thanks for taking the time to explain the usage of the poi board. I’ve never seen or heard of a grease board until coming to this site.
Good luck with not having people shoot at your board with the incorrect projectiles.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.