Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Well known trouble maker
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Big Are We

With yet another confrontational thread fanning the flames of the never to die embers of Ohio versus Sparta and the ATA, I wondered if our “conversations” really mean anything at all. I asked myself what population of the entire trap shooting world actually visit this site and read what is typed. Does anything posted here ever affect trapshooting on a national or world stage?

So I ask you. If you had to guess, what percent of the trapshooting world comes to this forum? My guess, well, I don’t want to bias your responses, but suffice it to say I think the number is small. And to carry it further, has anything posted here in the past actually caused any changes that we know of that have altered the sport? I don’t know. I have only been shooting trap for three years now so my perspective is very limited.

When I see shooters post “I will never shoot at the Cardinal” or “I will never shoot at Sparta” I usually just attribute those ramblings to folks caught up in the heat of that everlasting debate who are willing to sacrifice their nose despite their face. If anyone will not shoot at two of our premiere, if not absolute best, facilities because of an old range war the only loser is that shooter according to my logic. But as I said, I have no history. If I had history, perhaps I would be right there hurling the insults along with the others. We will never know.

Does it matter anyway? Is trapshooting going to change as we know it due to this post? Will Biathlon Trap Shooting be a part of the 2018 Olympic Games?

The answer is right there on the tip of your nose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey your right guys. Ohio, Sparta, Mo. Vegas etc. the one thing you hear often is disposable income, or lack there of. What % of people have that to spend on trap shooting. Remember $70.00 the first hundred, for targets and ammo. Plus we all know that the ata was founded and built on the backs of the all american shooters, the blue collar grass roots, small club $5.00 lewis class shooters had very little to do with the foundation. Plain and simple, insane money now to be a trapshooter. It's not one persons fault, thats just the way the world is today.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not1/2Bad, you have it backwards. The ATA was built to its zenith on well paid factory workers, blue collar men & women and farmers shooting at small clubs. The eastern & mid west states had small 1 & 2 trap clubs in almost every county. When I started 48 yr.s ago, we could shoot at 2 different clubs on a lot of Sundays. The first strike was the mandate of interrupters on all traps. The small Issac Walton & conservation clubs could not afford the new traps so they quit shooting registered targets. Then came a lot of Executive Committee rules that did lean towards favoring the elite shooters among us. The current reloading component and shell price spikes are possibly the biggest cause of decline in shooters. The state of mind of most of the Ohio shooters has hurt the Ohio clubs and The ATA. Internation Trap & Skeet have been summer Olympic sports for years, American trap will not, in my opinion, become an Olympic sport.

·
Vendor
19,410 Posts
Wait now.... I hear some rustling of the soon to be departed. I give it 15 posts of civility. no more.

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
There are only about 15 people on this site that continually argue about Cardinal, Sparta, etc. The rest don't care, or simply find it entertaining.

Jack, I give it about 5 more posts.

Rosey

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would guess it is 10% of the ATA shooters in my area. It may even be a bit higher if you include the lurkers.

Shawn

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Very interesting questions that you have proposed. I would guess a very small percentage of shooters actually know about this site.

Vic Reinder's always told me that when the average working man can participate in this sport it thrives, that's the reason he always attempted to keep the cost of shooting as low as possible..

This sport was originally not meant for the average working man and woman. In Europe it was meant for Royalty and the affluent. With the advent of reloading the average working man could indeed participate and do well.

I personally do not get involved with all the politics of the game as it detracts from me just having fun shooting. Fighting city hall here in my area of the country is a losing battle, so I stay away from it.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Well known trouble maker
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, this got moved to the off topic area.

I thought this was very "on" topic!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know the what real trap shooting is, and what a real trap shooter is. I was being facetious. If it weren't for the blue collar shooter, there never would have been the hay-day of the ata. There never would have been 5000 shooters in one event in vandalia. Trap shooting would have always been just like it is today. It has always been expensive to participate, however, in todays world it is just no longer practical. I wish it was, thats the sign of the times

1 - 10 of 10 Posts