Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cardinal v. Sparta; Registered v. Practice v. League shooting... just how big a pie is there?

The numbers bantered about seem staggering... 50-55,000 active shooters - are those ATA members who have registered birds in the last year or two? I saw a target total posted by Paladin at 56M targets and on a website the number posted was upwards of 80M+...

And registered trapshooters are supposed to represent only 15% +/- of all trapshooters...

For those supposedly "in the know", are there really 250K shooters shooting Trap and are we really throwing 250-400M trap targets annually.

This trapshooter would really like to know? I might like to add another trap to my operation...

regards,

j.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What facility throws the most clay targets per year?

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
Based on ATA Data Berthoud throws the most registered clays in Colorado per trap field. Not bad for a club with 2 traps. These people have this ATA shooting stuff figured out. You won't find a more friendly group running a shoot and making you feel welcome. They always give trophies if you win and attract some of the best shooters Colorado has. Great job and a sincere thank you to all of the staff.

090007 BERTHOUD GUN CLUB CO 51,300 2 Traps 25,650 per field

·
Registered
20,286 Posts
Absolutely right Duane. Bart Campbell (sic) ( bjc )and the gang do a good job at Berthoud.

A while back someone asked about shooting around Estes Park on his vacation and I pointed him to Berthoud. Found out there is a trap at Estes ( prior to the September floods ) that ran on a portable generator. Don't know if that range is still operational so if anyone knows please post.

Latest News section on shootata has a link to 2013 targets thrown by club. Worth while for the OP to check that link. Has total targets and targets per trap. Silver Dollar is high up and Tuscon Trap club is up there too.

Don T

·
Registered
489 Posts
Spitter,

While I certainly do not have the answer to your question of just how many targets and shooters there are, I would like to point out an issue with the ATA's information published on their website labeled Targets per field, 2013. The Cardinal Center is listed as throwing a little over 1.66 million targets for 2013. That number is a touch short of what was actually thrown. 1.06 million targets that were thrown for the Ohio State shoot were not included in Cardinal's total. The ATA was notified of this but their response was that the Ohio State Shoot targets were INTENTIONALLY left out of Cardinal's totals. I have no idea if this is an isolated case or if there are other clubs that could have more targets than are shown on that list.

Don Cogan

·
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don:

That's the rub... The ATA manages registered targets that fall under its perview, but what about ALL the non-registered American Trap targets that are thrown outside of registered programming.

We all hear the stories - practice and league targets are being thrown and in greater quantities. The decrease appears to be limited only in registered birds.

thanks for responding,

j.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Phil Murray could probably answer your question best Jay. I believe that registered targets have always been a very small percentage of targets thrown.

Tha ATA figures on targets per field per club are mis-leading I think. I know in our case they divide by 14 fields and although we may have that many by airial view, we've lost 2 fields to a 5 stand operation. We haven't needed the 14 fields since the late 80's or early 90's. In eastern MA there are so many clubs throwing registered that shooters tend to patronize their local club only, rather than travel for an hour or so as we had to in the 70's and 80's.

If you see a need for another field, by all means do it. You won't lose customer's because of convenience. Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have over 20 trap clubs within 50 miles and not one shoot registered targets. Most throw targets all year. How does that play into the piece of pie?

·
Registered
20,286 Posts
J,

Our club is running 4 traps, 2-4 skeet fields, and 2 5 stand fields during the winter. Mornings run heaviest during the week with 2 traps and full squads for the 'regulars' who always shoot together as a social event. The skeeters do the same and the 5 stand is an experimental run to keep the sporties going without needing to plow snow paths to the sporting stations. Winter travel is down but we have people shooting every day of the week, even right after a snow. Threw close to a Million ATA legal targets last year but only 74,000 or so ATA registered targets. The reat were practice, league, skeet targets and I don't know how many registered skeet targets we threw.

Hope this helps your calculations out. Personaly I would like to see MORE places to shoot practice and if it lead to more people shooting ATA that would be good too. We converted 7 or 8 League shooters to ATA shooters during the last calendar year ( 2013 ) so it works sometimes. It takes a lot of enthusiasm on the part of the ATA shooters that shoot the leagues to get the new practice league folks to jump off. Once they jump they stay a while.

Don T

·
Registered
704 Posts
No one has mention how many targets were thrown/shot at the gun club in a small town in Pennsylvania known as Elysburg. I understand that they throw over one million targets in one week every June. That is a big figure not counting all the others events, held at this small town gun club. Tom

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
If White Flyer would post numbers sold it would be very impressive I think. If they broke it down state by state it would be even more revealing. No one wants them to publish customers orders just show us what the pie looks like. PLEASE!!!

·
Vendor
19,401 Posts
125 targets every 15 minutes = 500 per hour at 10 hours a day, equals 5000 per trap.

5000 per trap X 30 days equals 150,000 per trap per month. Elysburg must have 6 or 7 traps?

Running constantly, full up for 30 days strate in June. Wow! Only in PA.

·
Registered
489 Posts
MX2G,

I'm not sure how many traps Elysburg has but between prelim and main days at the 2013 PA State shoot they threw over 1,500,000 targets! That's a big bunch of targets in a darn short period of time in early June.

Don Cogan

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
They have a pile Don and Jack. I hope to get back down there this year. I think TjayE was having a little fun. I hope they still have the little house across the street from the lower fields with the gun rack outside and the cold Millers inside;)

·
Vendor
19,401 Posts
Don. Nice to make your acquaintance. I only posted that because I thought the venue needed a bit more explanation. No doubt I am impressed regardless if it is 6 traps or 36 traps. Lotta shooters having a good time in PA. Hats off to PA and their shooters... Don, keep shootin well. Guys that shoot ATA and can do it are my heros. Hope to join your elite club after my eye surgery tomorrow.

Hi Bob.

Jack

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think it's 21 fields down below, and 32 up top for 53 fields total. They throw lots of targets at Elysburg - maybe more than anyone else.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Gapper,

A quick check of RJ Stuart's site shows Elysburg tossed 2,988,300 targets in 2013 in only those tournaments that RJ handled cashiering for. WOW! The PA State Shoot is tops on my bucket list.

MX2G,

I'm sure you are going to love your new eyes! A goose hunting buddy of mine recently had cataracts removed and new lenses installed. He is in his late 60's and now he can see the numbers on the goose bands while the geese are still flying. Well maybe he doesn't see THAT good, but darn close to it. I look forward to meeting you out on the trap line after you get used to your "new eyes".

Don Cogan

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I believe WSRC threw 4.5 million in 2010. I simply have not heard current figures.

·
Vendor
19,401 Posts
Don. Killed many hundreds of ducks and geese from Stuttgart to the illinios river. As kids we had cars and played hooky and shot wood ducks as they moved around the cornfields. shot many geese while at carbondale in college. learned to be an expert duck and goose caller from the guides. If you have nto followed some of my posts, I have an extensive decoy and call collection. Now they kill many ducks just 1/2 mile south of me in the backwater of the Mississippi. But a touch too treacherous for me to go it alone across both major rivers in the late fall with unpredictable winds and 40 degree water. I'll shoot the orange round ducks...

My left eye came out super. If my right eye comes out as well, I'll be breaking 90 again from 26 yards.

God bless the medical professionals... But the sobs certainly know how to slip your wallet...

jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts