Trapshooters Forum banner

How are you classified for ATA shoots?

3998 Views 32 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  vatrap
I have just started shooting. I have 450 registered singles targets. My average is a tad over 97%. I just shot two ATA events and I was a "B" shooter. I looked at the ATA rules and could not make heads or tails of how a new shooter is classified.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
5,692 Posts
Thee things.

1. Rule of thumb is you start as a B shooter until you get at least 500+ targets to establish a fair average.
2. HOWEVER, if you have a been shooting leagues, etc. the classifier can take into consideration your "Known Ability" So, if you had been averaging 96 in a solid league competition, you might find yourself in A.
3. Most important. It is the responsibility of every shooter to make sure that they are not under classified. Say you have been averaging 96+ in league but the classifier doesn't know that because your league is at a different club. You need to tell the classifier that so that he will then "know" your ability. He may discount it and still put you in B but that is his judgment.

At 450 targets, you are close to where it won't matter as your average will classify you correctly.

· Registered
233 Posts
First, welcome to registered shooting! Second, when you get to a big shoot such as a State Shoot or a Satellite Grand, read the program as it will provide a lot of information about classification for that shoot. Third, if a shooter shows up at my classification station with 450 targets and a 97 average, that shooter will likely be in “A”, not “B”. When you don’t have enough targets the minimum classification is “B”. There is no maximum. I have put a couple shooters in “AAA” who had no targets, but told me that they had won championships in down the line in the UK. Down the line is reasonably similar to ATA trap.

· Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I went to The Spring Grand with a person that only had 100 registered singles targets and 100 handicap targets. They put him in class b for singles, but he incurred a penalty in handicaps, and had to shoot from the 23 yard line. I'm still not sure I understand that ruling.

· Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
I went to The Spring Grand with a person that only had 100 registered singles targets and 100 handicap targets. They put him in class b for singles, but he incurred a penalty in handicaps, and had to shoot from the 23 yard line. I'm still not sure I understand that ruling.
Not sure what's difficult to understand. It was all spelled out in the program.

2021 ATA Spring Grand program

· Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with the way I stated that. I meant to state I don't understand the point of tacking on the extra 3 yards. It's hard enough for my friend, or any beginner, to shoot at the 20 yard line. I guess there are "ringers and cheaters" out there, but rules should be made for the majority, not the low life scum that would cheat. It took a lot of the fun out of shooting handicap for him.

· Registered
233 Posts
Joe, if you still have the program for the Spring Grand, look in it and I’m pretty sure you’ll see that the minimum penalty for not having enough handicap targets at a Satellite Grand is 23 yards. It’s worth knowing that if your friend had a great day shooting from the 23 yard line, he will get additional yardage from the 23 yard line. If he shoots a score that would get him a yard, he will be punched to the 24 yard line.

· Registered
123 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear with the way I stated that. I meant to state I don't understand the point of tacking on the extra 3 yards. It's hard enough for my friend, or any beginner, to shoot at the 20 yard line. I guess there are "ringers and cheaters" out there, but rules should be made for the majority, not the low life scum that would cheat. It took a lot of the fun out of shooting handicap for him.
There are shooters out there that are AA, A in singles and do not shoot any handicap targets, yes there are plenty of "target management" shooters out there as well... I shot against one in a shoot off that was only at my yardage because he was shooting penalty @ 23 yards yet had a 98% singles average with 0 handicap targets on the year.

· Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
He could have shot "Targets Only."

You're also going to have to explain how anyone at the classification desk was to know that your friend wasn't a "ringer."

Bottom line is penalty classification is a well known element of major tournaments.

Your friend should have prepared better, if not by acquiring the necessary targets, then by reading the program and being aware of the rules.

· Registered
233 Posts
Sorry that I type so slowly. There are a couple of options, you can usually shoot for “targets only”, you can’t win money or trophies, but can shoot from the 20 yard line. Or consider going to several small shoots which don’t use the penalty. That will get his target numbers up.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I used to shoot AA/27 now at 75 I need to be shooting with the brail crowd too many years and too many shoulder operations but I still try to shoot a few rounds each week and if I get to where I hit only 1 out of 25 I will still be trying

Mac

· Premium Member
1,274 Posts
He could have shot "Targets Only."

You're also going to have to explain how anyone at the classification desk was to know that your friend wasn't a "ringer."

Bottom line is penalty classification is a well known element of major tournaments.

Your friend should have prepared better, if not by acquiring the necessary targets, then by reading the program and being aware of the rules.
We have a difference of opinion. You choose to see the worse, I choose to see the best. And my friend was prepared. Being prepared doesn't mean you have to like the outcome.

· Registered
983 Posts
3. Most important. It is the responsibility of every shooter to make sure that they are not under classified. Say you have been averaging 96+ in league but the classifier doesn't know that because your league is at a different club. You need to tell the classifier that so that he will then "know" your ability. He may discount it and still put you in B but that is his judgment
I had this happen earlier this year. I was severely under classified, told the classifier and it was left the way it was. When i shot semi frequently i carried a 96-97 average BUT I had only shot 500 or so singles targets in the last decade 100 of which being the year before with a horrible score.
I was put in D class, still couldn’t manage to win.

· Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
We have a difference of opinion. You choose to see the worse, I choose to see the best. And my friend was prepared. Being prepared doesn't mean you have to like the outcome.
I'm seeing reality.

Would your friend have been happier if he couldn't even enter the tournament without a set minimum number of targets?

Would that have been better?

Instead of turning shooters away, they're given a choice; acquire the minimum targets, or shoot penalty.

As I've already pointed out, he could have shot handicap for targets only.

He apparently chose not to. So he must have thought he could win.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
I have always been treated fairly at the classification desk. When I don't understand something? Simply ask. I have always had the classifications folks gladly explain any question. If your a newbie, simply enjoy the shoot, do the best you can and practice to be better. It will come.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.