Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making plans for the NRA convention this April in Indy. First is the Indiana Convention Center downtown next to Lucas Oil Stadium?

One of the travel sites is showing the Hilton Garden Inn on Market St within half mile of Lucas as having rooms. Anybody know anything about this hotel? I assuming since it is a Hilton it is okay, just wondering about the area.

The only time I'm in Indy anymore is for the state shoot and I stay in Fischers then, not familiar with downtown since they bulldozed Market Square.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I work downtown frequently mostly days, sometimes nights. The area is typically fine during the week and during the day. The weekends are usually fine during the day. That particular place of downtown is no worse than other areas around Lucas and actually in a pretty nice place with relation to monument circle.

Plenty of homeless and pan handlers on every corner. Really no problems with them harassing visitors. There are gang issues from time to time, but usually with other events and not an FFA or NRA event. Regardless, during the big events, the city dedicates extra manpower to keep the peace. Obviously it would be bad for business if an FFA member, etc. gets mugged and murdered while walking to the convention center.

That Hilton is also within walking distance of Morton's steak house which is the closest, and within what I think is reasonable walking distance of St. Elmos steak house. Eat steak at St. Elmos or Morton's and you won't spend a penny in a Ruth's Chris again. If you like cocktail sauce with lots of horse radish, then buy the shrimp cocktail at St. Elmos. The wife and I just ate at St. Elmos for lunch, they have a special going on, $35.00 per person for a 6oz filet, shrimp cocktail, potatoes and green beans, and desert. They always nail the cream brulee. Lots of neat history with that joint.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The Indiana Convention Center is downtown at Lucas and not at the fairgrounds, correct?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Correct, not connected but only about a good city block apart. The link if it works should give you a good picture of downtown. Where you are talking about staying is just East of monument circle.

Click link and zoom in to center of downtown.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I attend a trade show in Indy every year. I always stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Missouri St, directly across street from the Lucas stadium. It is usually a little cheaper than others & have a great free breakfast. It is a short walk to the convention center. I have contact numbers if you're interested. Butch from Pgh.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Biss,

Don't forget, the Mexican hookers are still in town from the 2012 Super Bowl...they found the area so lucrative, they never left. Hang around the JW Marriott, I'm told it's a sure score.

On the other end of the female spectrum, don't forget to carry...the Fishers Anti-Gun Mommies will be there staging a protest and looking for something to get hysterical about - we manly gun-owner types wouldn't want to disappoint them, would we?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I will put the info to good use.

buzz, Mexican hookers? They ply their trade everywhere in this country, you can get em anywhere, nothing special (that's the word on the street, anyway). Since I was going to be in the big city capital I was going to aim my sights at a little something more exotic like a blond Russian tennis player look a like or at least a Ukrainian! Something we don't see in my part of the state. LOL If I find one can I use a room at your place for the deed? Too much security in a downtown hotel, and I don't want to attract any unwanted attention. Nobody would think anything like that would be going on in the burbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts