Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brownk80, wish I did have the info you request. I'd like to know myself. I've been told the Alcan 220 was the hottest ever, but no longer are made.

This does bring me to ask. Does a person need a "hotter" primer to reload the Federal Gold-Medal hulls??? I have been told the hotter the primer used in reloading this hull, the better.

·
Registered
704 Posts
HOT

RIO

FEDERAL 209A

CCI 209 MAG

WINCHESTER 209

FIOCCHIO 616

CHEDDITE

REMINGTION STS

COOLEST

This is the list that was given to me by my longtime reloading friend.

·
Registered
737 Posts
From my experience I agree with the list that TjayE has, with exception that I find Fed 209A hotter. From chronographed loads. BR GII

·
Registered
130 Posts
I downloaded this chart some time ago and it might be helpful.

Shotgun Primer Catagories
Hot
Fed 209A
CCI 209M
CCI 209SC (discontinued)
Med
Win 209
CCI 209
Fed 209 (discontinued)
Cheddite 209
Fiocchi 616
Noble Sport
Mild
Rem 209 Premier
Does this mean that all primers within a given category are exactly the same....no, but they are close enough that they can safely share the same data.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Check the data before trying to go by a list. There are some loads that would have unpredictable pressures according to any "Primer" list. NO primers are directly interchangeable, except maybe the Nobel SPort and the Winchester 209, according to Hodgdon. There are enough variables that using such a list could eventually get you into trouble. Some "Mild" primers can sometimes become "Hot" if the load conditions are right. It's a crap shoot at best.

So in effect, I would recommend losing that list and using reliable data for the EXACT components you are loading. Any list is just a "swag" and there are many exceptions that can be found. That said, if your load is low enough in pressure, such a change would probably not be dangerous. I worry more about the load that is a little higher pressure than normal, over a long period of time. That could weaken a firearm with the possibility of eventual failure.

If there is any indication, I use the Federal 209A, Rio G600, Winchester 209, Nobel Sport, and the CCI 209M for cold weather loads. I do NOT use the Fiocchi 209 if the weather will be below 50 degrees. I have stopped using the Remington 209 primers since they usually cause some spectacular flames out of the ejection port of my auto at night. I have tested many loads after sitting in a freezer for several days. I have noticed some serious loss of velocity and variations with some combinations that performed fine in warmer weather.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
brownk80, I've loaded many, many similar to yours and 700X DOES leave some debris when used. One or two swipes with a tico tool has always restored my barrels to good between annual or semi-annual thorough cleanings....breakemall....Bob Dodd

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Sarge: Just started loading 17.9 of Promo with Wolf primer. Have shot about 800 of them and really like them. Try it you will like it and the price is nice.

Don

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'm not gonna buy any more Fiocchi 616 primers because I have had far too many weak sounding loads. I never had that problem with Win 209's or even Cheddites for that matter. I also don't think Remington STS primers are hot enough for winter shooting.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Someone please define "hot". Also those of you that have responded please explain the basis for your determination.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've never had a problem with REM 209's .....and I use them ALOT. I shoot in OHIO and it's COLD here now. I've shot (and do it every year)in -20 degrees and NEVER had a problem with my Primers/Loads/Powder. BUT....then ...I usually shoot shells that are OVER 1100 FPS.Usually 1175 to 1250 FPS.Perhaps, someone wanting to shoot 1075 FPS in -20 degrees...A problem.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Dave- Powder burns at a controlled rate but primers explode. A hot primer produces a greater explosive force than a mild primer. In most loads, more explosive force results in the powder burning faster, but there are a few exceptions to this. It is possible when combining a hot primer with a slow burning powder to decrease the rate at which the powder burns. This is a result of the primer explosion moving the wad forward and increasing the area in which the powder burns. This would actually lower the chamber pressure.

Pat Ireland

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.