Trapshooters Forum banner

Hot Clays App Experience

2073 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  FlyingKat316
Just wondering if anyone has signed up for the Hot Clays app paid/premium account level and if so, what do you like/dislike about it? And if you are a free member, why not upgrade?

I’m considering using this for our youth team, as well as my own personal use. Trying to determine if it’s worth the $30/year.

Thanks!
Dean
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Hi Dean,
I'm an early adopter and have been using the paid app for myself and partners in SC for a few years. I started with the free version. I'm also in the field of data security and have been in InfoTech for almost 30 years (this year! retiring soon!). My opinions only -

1) Most of the apps for shotgun sports are half-hearted efforts to put something/anything on the market. In the specific use of scoring and metrics, reporting and shot analysis, no app comes close to what HotClays has done. It's worth noting that the developer is a shooter, not a pro, but he understands the disciplines and listens to the customers.
2) Data storage for HotClays lives on Amazon Web Services as part of the paid subscription. The value of that is it's in a good place for archival and data 'safety', as long as the developers have done their homework.
3) Having a paid subscription gives the ability to share that data in real-time across multiple paid accounts as a squad/team, etc. Also no limit on the number of devices those accounts can have to view/manage that data. There are access controls built-in for team leaders that keep the curious and unauthorized members from messing with the data (read-only).
4) Feature rich in its ability to offer several domestic and international standards for shotgun sports, depending on discipline.
5) This is big for me, because I'm a geek and my shooting partners are not - scoring is available to operate directly from your Apple Watch. Not a big deal if you're coaching or instructing, but huge when you're the only one that can program a VCR on the squad.
6) Another big one - The developer is extremely responsive, located in the USA and does software as a living. Not some spin-off project from a major manufacturer that gets issued and dies without any updates. He's constantly adding features, squashing bugs and making the app easier to use and live with.

Here's a few things that annoy me and I've written to the developer for a change request -

1) In the SC mode, configuring stations on the fly (first time to a new course) doesn't permit you to save the course arrangement as a template for next visit. Must be entered manually after-the-fact. This is meaningless in a trap scenario where that change isn't part of the game.
2) if you don't have carrier-coverage for your phone at the range, you must be patient until the app has the chance to get connection to upload the results of your input from the session. You can still use the app as normal, but the other squad members won't see the data in real-time until connectivity is restored. I've been through this a few times at my local range which is buried in a valley with terrible phone service. Unfortunately, that will be so for any application that uses a data store in the cloud space.

I really don't have any other major complaints and I use it almost every weekend, haven't at the trap field yet but I like knowing I can. It's a strong offering and has excellent support. THAT's the primary attraction for me. I like being able to send the PDF score sheet to my team mates after the last station right from my phone. They have it in their email or messaging app before they get beck in their cars to leave the range.

As with all this stuff - your mileage may vary.

Sorry for the technical bent, I can't help it. ;)
Good luck! -Chris

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dean,
I'm an early adopter and have been using the paid app for myself and partners in SC for a few years. I started with the free version. I'm also in the field of data security and have been in InfoTech for almost 30 years (this year! retiring soon!). My opinions only -

1) Most of the apps for shotgun sports are half-hearted efforts to put something/anything on the market. In the specific use of scoring and metrics, reporting and shot analysis, no app comes close to what HotClays has done. It's worth noting that the developer is a shooter, not a pro, but he understands the disciplines and listens to the customers.
2) Data storage for HotClays lives on Amazon Web Services as part of the paid subscription. The value of that is it's in a good place for archival and data 'safety', as long as the developers have done their homework.
3) Having a paid subscription gives the ability to share that data in real-time across multiple paid accounts as a squad/team, etc. Also no limit on the number of devices those accounts can have to view/manage that data. There are access controls built-in for team leaders that keep the curious and unauthorized members from messing with the data (read-only).
4) Feature rich in its ability to offer several domestic and international standards for shotgun sports, depending on discipline.
5) This is big for me, because I'm a geek and my shooting partners are not - scoring is available to operate directly from your Apple Watch. Not a big deal if you're coaching or instructing, but huge when you're the only one that can program a VCR on the squad.
6) Another big one - The developer is extremely responsive, located in the USA and does software as a living. Not some spin-off project from a major manufacturer that gets issued and dies without any updates. He's constantly adding features, squashing bugs and making the app easier to use and live with.

Here's a few things that annoy me and I've written to the developer for a change request -

1) In the SC mode, configuring stations on the fly (first time to a new course) doesn't permit you to save the course arrangement as a template for next visit. Must be entered manually after-the-fact. This is meaningless in a trap scenario where that change isn't part of the game.
2) if you don't have carrier-coverage for your phone at the range, you must be patient until the app has the chance to get connection to upload the results of your input from the session. You can still use the app as normal, but the other squad members won't see the data in real-time until connectivity is restored. I've been through this a few times at my local range which is buried in a valley with terrible phone service. Unfortunately, that will be so for any application that uses a data store in the cloud space.

I really don't have any other major complaints and I use it almost every weekend, haven't at the trap field yet but I like knowing I can. It's a strong offering and has excellent support. THAT's the primary attraction for me. I like being able to send the PDF score sheet to my team mates after the last station right from my phone. They have it in their email or messaging app before they get beck in their cars to leave the range.

As with all this stuff - your mileage may vary.

Sorry for the technical bent, I can't help it. ;)
Good luck! -Chris
Paul,
I am new to using HOTCLAYS and so far I am enjoying what it is capable of doing. I have found that some functionality is not working as suggested. Any advice on reaching the programmer? I have tried the normal click routs to their gmail as well as targetorangellc with no replies. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts