Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what you folks were thinking when you clicked on this thread, but this is about deer within 50 feet of the back door this afternoon. Coulda thrown a big rock and knocked off a couple points. Nice southern Oregon 5 x 5 Blacktail and his harem happy that the snow has cleared. To be politically correct - an afternoon gathering of seven Blacktail doe who have voted and, by a count of four to three, have allowed a buck to graze nearby. Enjoy the pics regardless your political persuasion.

View attachment IMG_3291.jpg?t=1293495518

View attachment IMG_3296.jpg?t=1293496168

View attachment IMG_3294.jpg?t=1293496260

Happy New Year from southern Oregon

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
My mother-in-law doesn't get deer that thick on her ranch, but there is a herd of 30 to 40 elk that move in and eat her front yard.

Pity they don't stick around when it's elk season.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Nice little buck Mike. 3 more years and he may be a giant.Jeff

·
Supporting Vendor
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thors,
When last I checked, brow tines three+ inches long count, even in Pennsylvania. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he's just an untypical button buck.
Jeff,
Never claimed he was Arnold Schwartzenegger, just a nice buck. The way the natives poach here in the Illinois Valley, he'll never make three more years.
D,
Standing at 1750 feet of altitude when he smiled for me. I will immediately check my map and my math.

There was another untypical button buck with three untypical aberrations on either side of his head running nine doe between the house and the barn at the same time I chose to take the picture of the untypical button buck shown above.

Mike

·
Supporting Vendor
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob,

Any big Maples or Walnuts I might stumble across when I'm over there watching the poachers?

Mike Mann

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Didn't mean it in a bad way Mike. I am a trophy Blacktail hunter and 6 years is what you need at least to get to trophy dimensions. My estimate is that you are looking at a three to 4 year year old deer with his second set of horns after a spike. Too bad about the poaching. Times they are tough and I think a lot of people are adding venison to the freezer in the non-traditional fashion. Have a great year Mike. I have nothing but respect for you and I always have. I assure you my comment was meant as an observation. Jeff Westlund

·
Premium Member
11,864 Posts
Mike

Those are antlers...not horns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.