Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to reloading, bought my first MEC 600 Jr in late 1960's, use progressive for 5 gauges, Hornady single stage for rifle and pistol. Loading pistol just too time consuming on single stage so looking @ Hornady LN-L progressive so any Pro's or Con's? It would work for my pistol ammo needs as step up would be a Dillion 550?
I use the Lee carbide pistol dies so seems they would work well on the L-N-L as it has 5 die stations.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I've had one for several years and many thousands of rounds. I like it and it can really crank out some ammo with everything set up correctly.

It is a "tinker's delight" however. It will take some patience and mechanical skill to set it up. If you see this as a challenge and will enjoy the satisfaction of tuning a fine machine, you will be happy.

If you want to shake it out of the box and pull the handle, you will likely be frustrated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I went to a progressive I went with the Dillon 550. That being said - I have heard nothing but good things about the L-N-L.

One comment: When using Lee brand dies in the 550 the thickness of the tool head combined with the somewhat shorter Lee die body means not as many of the threads on the die are available for the die lock ring. Some say they have just put the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head instead of the top. If you are thinking of the Dillon you might want to check into that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have had a LnL over 10 years. Round count is well over 100k with it. I have had very little trouble with it. I prefer the auto indexing of the LnL compared to the manual indexing of the 550. It would be hard to double charge with an auto indexing press.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I bought one 15 years ago and sold the Dillon 550 I had. Since then I installed a case feeder and a bullet feeder, so all you do is pull the handle with one hand while the other hand is resting on your pocket. At first I had some problems feeding 200 gr hollow point 45 acp bullets, returned feeder die to Hornady and they corrected the issue. I also installed a low primer buzzer from a Dillon 550 press using a 3/16” wooden rod with a bullet for weight on the top. It works well, I was also into designing a turret setup where 5 primer tubes could be filled (500) primers and index when needed, then I got onto another project and never finished the primer mod.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have not loaded on a Dillon but I have 2 L-N-L ....one is old and one is fairly new according to the serial numbers ... both take basically the same parts. I got them cheap. I was in the right place at the right times.
Over the years I have gathered a few extra powder droppers and I leave them set up for a specific caliber. Fairly straight forward to adjust .... like anything else ,,, don't get in a hurry or force something,,, breakage can occur .. I have a big teachers table with a loader on each end with a PW shotshell loader in the middle. I think either Loader will do you a great job of making shells. IF i find another for the right money I would buy again.. But I hope to find a Dillon progressive someday for the right money ,, rearrange my table and welcome it to the family. Reloading is great therapy. Either one would be a good loader for you.

Enjoy Life

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have been using a L-N-L for about 5 years with good results. Once setup, it produces high quality cartridges at a high rate. Be sure to get 3-4 primer feed tubes as you will go through them quickly and you need to keep an eye on the gage straw so you don't run out. It is a great machine for the money and you can't beat the 500 free bullets offer. Good luck.

·
Sky Buster
4,245 Posts
I have been using a L-N-L for about 5 years with good results. Once setup, it produces high quality cartridges at a high rate. Be sure to get 3-4 primer feed tubes as you will go through them quickly and you need to keep an eye on the gage straw so you don't run out. It is a great machine for the money and you can't beat the 500 free bullets offer. Good luck.
I had a Dillon 650. It was a quality unit with no issue's. I sold it and got out
of reloading for a couple of years. Later, a I bought the L-N-L and started loading
9mm and .45. Of the two, I prefer the L-N-L. I really like the grease fitting's.
Both companies have great customer service.
s

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I bought the L n L when I got back into reloading metallic stuff - mostly 9mm. My goal was volume so I also got the case feeder. My decision was based on price and some good reviews that I read. I fought the case feeder from day one and never did get it working even to 80%. Check out the YouTube reviews as well.

I sold the Hornady and went Blue (Dillon). IDPA does a survey each year for equipment ownership - everything from gun type, bullets, reloaders, etc. 90%+ of the shooters who reloaded owned Dillon presses. Hornady was a very small minority.

If you’re not looking for reloading lots of ammo and won’t be adding the case feeder to the equation I think the L n L is a good enough product. One of the “pro’s” is the way the table indexes. Another is the six stations which allows for a powder checker/lock out die ( a must have in my opinion ). If you want that many stations on a Dillon you will have to find a 650 (no longer in production) or purchase the newer 750 model. The L n L is less expensive ( I didn’t want to say cheaper )than the Dillon but has VERY LITTLE resale value. I had a hard time selling my L n L with dies and a lot of accessories for $300. A Dillon reloader( any model) in good shape will sell quickly when reasonably priced AND Dillon’s warranty is beyond compare. They will just about replace the entire reloader, piece by piece, for free.
The plastic powder bottle on my L n L literally melted when I left powder in it for several weeks. I called Hornady and they said that wasn’t a warranty item. Charged me $11 and another $10 shipping to get another.

Hornady does have a neat feature in the form of a collar that allows for quick of the dies. Conversely, you have to purchase a separate tool head for each die set on the Dillon if you don’t want to spend a lot of time going back and forth between calibers. On the whole I think Dillon is a superior product albeit more expensive initially. I think the lifetime warranty and user friendliness justifies the higher initial cost.

As I said, I started out with a Hornady, sold it at a big loss, and upgraded to a Dillon. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I would take the LnL over any Dillon except the new 1100. The bayonet dies holder make changing calibers a cinch. The powder measure is way more accurate than the Dillon, especially with fine grain powders. The LnL advances the shell plate in half steps, so there is a little less chance of powder jumping out of the case when it indexes.

The Hornady case feeder is noisy, but works fine. If you load 40 S&W order the special smaller diameter tube especially for 40. The 45 tube works for 40, but not as well.

The only bullet feeder to consider is the Mr. Bulletfeeder. It is orders of magnitude better the the Hornady system, quiter and much easier to set up. Another plus is it works with oversize bullets. The Hornady feeder die will not work with lead or poly coated bullets unless you enlarge the collet. For example, my 40 feeder collet works fine with .400" jacketed or plated bullets, but no well with .401" poly coated bullets. Same with 9 and 45. The MBF drops everything. A caliber changing kit is reasonably priced, and quick to change. You can also use it to drop lubed lead bullets, but you will have to clean the drop tube often. With anything else you never have to clean it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've been reloading on my Lock n Load for about 3-4 years. After an initial learning curve, especially with getting the indexing exactly right and understanding the relationship with the pawls and a correctly set up press, I've really enjoyed mine. The quality of the machinery and the half index up and down with the positive click evokes quality. I highly recommend the press after reloading thousands of 9mm, 45 app and .30-06.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts