Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use a hornady apex reloader?
there is one for sale around here but one of the "fingers" on the rotary is broken
thoughts on this??

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It is no longer made and parts are very scarce if even available at all.

It's a shame they discontinued them, I hear they were a great loader and had some advanced options for the time.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I had a couple of friends who bought one. One of them thought it was a good reloader and the other couldn't wait to get rid of his.

Different strokes for different folks.

You might want to consider a Mec, as there are a multitude of them out there, and if you have any trouble, someone on this site can/will help you out.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Still using mine. Just got done loading up a couple thousand rounds on it. Keep it clean, lubed and adjusted and it just kept on working. I do have to check that a primer did drop but after a while you can tell an abnormal drop, or more likely the failure to drop, just by the sound. The other thing is to develop a feel for the handle. Sometimes small shot can work its way into the shot drop swinging arm and keep the shot from fully falling. Again, the difference in arm resistance can be felt and then check why it is stiffer than normal. For the price new, when I bought the 3.0 and they threw in a 3.1 adapter kit, at Vandalia many years ago, mine was very well worth the price.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Apex had some neat functions. However, if you look at the 366 parts list ie..60 some parts than look at the Apex 3.1 and its around 200 parts. You can see why they were discontinued.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I load on a 3.1 with the gas "assist" function. I like it. Like pyrdek says, a piece of loose shot in the wrong spot can inhibit shot or powder drops. That's really the only problem I've ever had with mine. Keep it clean and watch the drop mechanisms and it's been very reliable.

Here's a link to the manual. http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-discontinued/shotshell-reloading/APEX-3_1.pdf

Start your search with the Hornady service people, they may have just what you need.
It looks like the shell plate and all six "fingers" are one part number. I may have an old damaged one that a finger could be salvaged from. Just be sure it's not the pivot pin in the shell plate that's broken off. I can't help with that.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used to own one prior to getting a Spolar and it worked very well. I did break a finger off of the shell plate once (can't remember exactly how I did it) and nglitz is exactly right...its an assembly and Hornady sent me another and it was easy to put in.

Might want to ask Hornady if they still have any of these parts left.

·
5,388 Posts
I own a 3.0 and 3 3.1s in 12 gauge and a 3.1 in 20... it was very advanced and a value in a loader with options only now being found on better loaders... detects for primer, shot and powder...

Makes a great shell... a little too much plastic hurt it's durability... extras for parts...

Regards all
Jay

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have one I load on and one for parts.....enough said, reliable primer feeding seems to be the biggest issue I've had,I also load on a 366 and in many thousands of rds have replace shot and powders seals and 1 spring a much better option .Jerry

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I just aquired a darn near new APEX 3/1 as a estate I bought. I could easily pass for a new one if somone is interested beofore I post it? 150.00

·
5,388 Posts
At $150, for this fully progressive loader is a bonafide deal... if I didn't already have 4 Apex loaders, I'd be jumping on this one...

Always glad to assist anyone with Apex loader questions...

Regards all,

Reactions: himark

·
Registered
1 Posts
At $150, for this fully progressive loader is a bonafide deal... if I didn't already have 4 Apex loaders, I'd be jumping on this one...

Always glad to assist anyone with Apex loader questions...

Regards all,
I have a Hornady Apex and I broke the shell plate finger it needs it to index to the next stage I Super Glued mine back on then I put another coat of glue on it sprinkled baking soda over the fresh glue it set up like concrete if the loader gets out of time it will break a finger other than this mishap I like it great old starter press to introduce a new loader to the joy of loading your own.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
does anyone use a hornady apex reloader?
there is one for sale around here but one of the "fingers" on the rotary is broken
thoughts on this??
Get a real loader. Find a good used Hornady 366 (they are not making new ones these days) or buy a new Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus. Both are good machines. If you are thinking Spolar then you probably have too much money and should just buy new shells.

·
5,388 Posts
Other than the high amount of plastic used for the index plate, the Apex was one heckuva platform... with respect, while built like a brick shithouse, the 366 is old technology... makes a fine shell, but no innovations... and I am a Hornady guy...

Regards all,

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
coltguntrader,

"I put another coat of glue on it sprinkled baking soda over the fresh glue it set up like concrete "

Let's have some more info on this type of glue job, please. I've never heard of it. Do you use Super Glue Gel, plain liquid, or any of the other specialty super glues? I'm always looking for a way to improve adhesion/repairs. Any other examples? Thanks for any response.

Bob Falfa

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Maybe you guys need the magic ultraviolet light to cure your Apex repairs.

Come on Man! Even Ponsness/Warren has given up on plastic reloader parts (the Grivory Shell Removal System and their black plastic EZ-FILL Top Plate).

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts

Come on Man! Even Ponsness/Warren has given up on plastic reloader parts (the Grivory Shell Removal System and their black plastic EZ-FILL Top Plate).
I wouldn't be too quick to diss on the ultraviolet light thing. Dentists use ultraviolet light to quickly harden fillings and the technology is essential to 3D printing.

·
5,388 Posts

But if acquired at a substantial discount, understanding their limitations, the Apex 3.0 and 3.1 in execution offered a lot of innovation unmatched until PW, Spolar and Dillon caught up...

Before they ran out, I bought a couple shell plates, fingers, resizing collars, etc...

If someone really needed a fully functional 3.0 with a couple of perfect shell plates to use or for use as a spare and/or additional spare parts... just like the previous one... $150 plus shipping...

A fully progressive loader with primer, powder and shot detects, swing out wad guide and two crimping stations and auto indexing...

Let me know...
Regards all,

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Spitter. Post some pics please.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts