Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hornady Apex shell plate is only turning part way. I have taken it apart and put Silikroil on it, no help. Then I cleaned it and tried dry lube, no better, What should I be using t0 lube the shell plate?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Not very many here use the Apex. My suggestions is you make use of the Hornady technical support function and put in an online request for help with your issue. They are good about getting back to you with answers. It sounds like some sort of linkage issue.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
First question is the latch completely releasing from the pin when the downward movement of the handle is at its end travel. If it does not, the shell plate will not move at all.

One thing to test is, without any shells in the rotating plate, raise the press all the way so the advancing arm (the counterweighted metal rod on the bottom) is set to advance the plate when the handle is lowered BUT do no lower the handle until you press upward holding the flat metal bar with the spring clip and the bottom of the gas rod when lowering the handle. This should keep the shell plate from rotating. Then with the handle in the fully lowered position the gas rod should still be held by the latch and roller. Then let go of the bottom and gently release the latch. Now the shell plate should fully rotate to the next position. If it does repeat this a few times to be sure it advances completely each time. If it hangs then you either have a bind in the sliding rods or a bad gas cylinder or a loose mount on the gas cylinder top. If it does not bind when empty, then try it with a shell or two in the shell plate carrier. Full rotation, do this a few times and put the shells in different stations to see if the bind may be caused by one station. If so, look at the primer seating station as the first place. Finally, presuming no stoppage has happen yet, try it with all the stations having shells in them. Partial rotation now would lead me to suspect the gas cylinder is weak or there is spilled powder, shot or dirt somewhere under the rotating carrier.

It may be that the gas cylinder is getting weak. Does the rod fully extend down out of the cylinder when it is not attached to the thicker rod that goes down through the plastic collar slide. The cylinder has a fair amount of force and if you are getting too much free play it may have lost some pressure. Also be sure the cylinder is secured tightly at the top mounting. I presume that there is no drag or binding when you rotate the shell holder by hand. If there is, that will have to be cleared first. I put a drop of oil on the gas cylinder rod and it helped. Also note that the red gas cylinder mounting assembly which connects to the top casting should have a little side play in it. If it is tight it may not be in the alignment needed to allow a easy slide of the assembly below it.

When I had a similar partial rotation, stopping about half a shell head short of where it should be, disassembling the shell plate and cleaning it and then lubing it, being sure that it would rotate completely freely by hand and then cleaning and oiling the rod and the bar assembly helped. Also check that your primer seater is not just a touch too high to where the shell rubs against it instead of over it when sliding to the seating station. You can, but it is most likely not the cause, see that all the shell holder swing arms are not pressing downward on the shell forcing a shell to rub on the lower casting when rotating. I thought my cylinder was weak, and it is a little weak, but it is still strong enough to fully rotate the carrier.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts