Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used 366. Searched looking for the problem I am having without success.

I am trying to load older style AA hulls. It is giving me very nice crimps but the handle doesn't

go all the way down to cam over all the time bulging some cases but not others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
When you say "older" style AA hulls, are you talking about the compression formed AA hull or one of the three (more?) generations of the HS hull?

If they are the HS generation 1 or 2 (and maybe 3) slice open a few hulls and check to see that the wad is not cocked in the hull by catching on the protruding edge of the plastic base wad. You may find that the case is bulging due to the wad being cocked in some (most?) of the shells.

I had the same problem in loading AA HS with the wad catching the rim of the base wad. What was unusual, is that most of the shells looked fine from the outside. It turned out that there were two slightly different versions of the AA HS case, both showing only the AA without boxes or underlines, in my supply but the wad would catch on some but not all. I am not sure if it is the thickness of the base wad shoulder or its length that caused the problem.

When the crimp start and finish was set for the shells, apparently I hit a number of the same style in the initial setup, no wrinkle showed. Sometimes a very small wrinkle showed up but then the crimp finish brought out more of the wrinkle as I started the loading run. You may have to change wads and/or powder loading to get a good case. Or you may want to just go to Remington cases which, once set up properly, just keep working correctly.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
there's a lot of possible reasons. What pyrdek posted may be it as I've experienced it as well. You said that you just got the press and when I buy a used 366 the first thing I do is take a part the crimp die and clean it and check for rust and junk. Then I start at the first station and work my way around the press as stated in the manual making the correct adjustments. I learned the hard way not to trust that the last person had it adjusted correctly. Sometimes the difference is in getting the die height and plunger height on the final crimp just right to turn out good looking shells. So one of the above or all of above or something I forgot to mention. I would start by cutting a few of the bad ones open first as stated in the first post

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Please post what load you are using, and a pic of the top of the final crimp die so we can see how it is adjusted.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,836 Posts
Just picked up a used 366. Searched looking for the problem I am having without success.

I am trying to load older style AA hulls. It is giving me very nice crimps but the handle doesn't

go all the way down to cam over all the time bulging some cases but not others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bulging the case wall is a sign that you are putting too much material (powder, wad, shot) in the hull. I assume you are using a AA style wad. The wad legs can only collapse so far and then the hull wall will buckle. The only solution is to reduce the stack height. The easiest thing to do is to reduce the shot charge by say five percent. You can try a different wad but there are only so many choices.

If your H366 has a steel crimp die make sure the inside is rust free. A green abrasive pad and a dowel rod with some Kroil will clean up the inside of the crimp die. Leave the inside coated with a film of oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the problem after reading pyrdec post. I did not realize there were 3 different cases. After looking in the hulls I discovered
the ones that had a bulge in them also had the clear plastic (liner) in them. I cut some open and found the wad was hanging up
on the liner not letting the wad seat properly. Don't know how to fix that problem though. Jim you were also correct, I found the crimp die was full of crud.
Thanks to all of you for your help. I wasted a lot of cases trying to figure this out on a load I have used for yrs.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
I found the problem after reading pyrdec post. I did not realize there were 3 different cases. After looking in the hulls I discovered
the ones that had a bulge in them also had the clear plastic (liner) in them. I cut some open and found the wad was hanging up
on the liner not letting the wad seat properly. Don't know how to fix that problem though. Jim you were also correct, I found the crimp die was full of crud.
Thanks to all of you for your help. I wasted a lot of cases trying to figure this out on a load I have used for yrs.
There is information for crimp die adjustment between the old and new style AA hulls in the FAQ on the Hornady website.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts