Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
See if your crimp starter will spin freely, if not it will crease or fold the crimps like shown in your photos.

Reactions: ryan9

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
I'm at a loss on on what is causing those crimps to give you the finger, but I will say your crimps seem a bit too deep.
Did this come on suddenly or has it always been this way?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Have you checked to see if your hulls are of varied length ? I've noticed that lately some of the Remington 4 pack Nitro's sold at Wal-mart have had a length inconsistency like the Gun Clubs. A friend went out and shot several 4 packs and gave me the hulls, I loaded them and had some of the same problem you are experiencing and I am loading on a RCBS Grand. Maybe Remington has quality control issues as I do not have these issues with my older Nitro's or STS's. FWIW. Bill

·
Registered
467 Posts
Never had that happen to mine. Any issues I had happen stemmed from the crimp starter. It was sticking and did not move freely. Once cleaned and lube added, no issues.

Is it the pic or are your loads dished in a little?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do know that the lengths do very a lot on my hulls. I had to raise my wad guide. Haven’t had this loader long still learning with it. They do look deep it those pics. I will load some more and measure them again. I will also clean up my crimp starter and see what I got. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
This problem drove me to drink and I never thought to thank Remington. I have had many of the same results with Gun Clubs on my Hornady 366, and it came to the length of the Gun Clubs varied quite a bit. I used a go no go cardboard length gauge made to sort out the ones that were too long or too short. You will be surprised at how many fail. As a side note to this, I had been loading Gun Clubs of an older vintage without incident. Somewhere along the way I think quality control of the length went out the window.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugggg. Not what I wanted to hear I do know the length changes a lot. Maybe I will have to do some culling on them.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
This problem drove me to drink and I never thought to thank Remington. I have had many of the same results with Gun Clubs on my Hornady 366, and it came to the length of the Gun Clubs varied quite a bit. I used a go no go cardboard length gauge made to sort out the ones that were too long or too short. You will be surprised at how many fail. As a side note to this, I had been loading Gun Clubs of an older vintage without incident. Somewhere along the way I think quality control of the length went out the window.
What length (or range) do you find for a 'good' Gun Club hull?

·
Supporting Vendor
5,925 Posts
I put a MEC crimp starter on my Hornady 366. It does a much better job compared to the Hornady crimp starter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What length (or range) do you find for a 'good' Gun Club hull?
2 3/4" on the money. Many measure 2 11/16" and they tend to leave a small hole in the crimp. Those that measure 2 13/16" and up tend to the fold over crimp the OP was experiencing. That's a pretty wide swing in length and enough to loose consistency.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
To the OP, can you tell us how many threads are showing above the jam nut on the final crimp die? And how many threads are showing above the lock nut on the center adjustment on the same die?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts