Hornady 366 12 GA | Trap Shooters Forum

Hornady 366 12 GA

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by oldshotgunner, Aug 2, 2020 at 6:57 AM.

1. oldshotgunner

oldshotgunner Active Member

I just bought one in very good used condition. Seems to work good but I see a problem with the primer feed, primers drops right out so I'm thinkin' I need to replace the primer stop plastic piece at the end of the tube. I also sent Jim Skeel an email to buy his large capacity reservoirs.

Any 366 users that might offer tips and tricks for this machine? How about vendors for parts?

T/I/A

Bill J.

2. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Well-Known Member

Contact Hornady direct and they will take care of you.

3. Mark Travis

Mark Travis Member

Yep, replace the plastic piece.

Roadking100 thanked this.
  4. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Probably the very best mod you can make to this machine is to have a 1"-2" slot milled through the bottom of the primer drop tube, above the plastic "foot." This will allow you to see when the primers are getting low. It also provides a way to stop primer flow by sticking a nail or something through the slot to stop the primers from dropping. The only signals the 366 gives that primers are out are either you notice it didn't drop a primer, or you have powder dropping out the hole under the powder drop station, a PITA to both clean up and restart the reloading process. More often than not, it will be the latter.

If you use the search function, you might be able to find the thread entitled something to the effect "reloader mods." Lots of good ideas in that thread.
    Reloading tinkers.

Found the reloading tinker's thread. Pix of the slot in the primer drop tube. Also, focus on the PVC reducer mod pix from Lowbrass366. Saw a hole in the bench top and funnel the finished shells through the PVC reducer into a bucket or box underneath.

Order a spare primer drop tube foot, order measure casting seals and extra wad guide fingers.

Midway USA has parts: Shotshell Reloading Press Parts & Accessories - MidwayUSA

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    Roadking100 thanked this.
  5. trufan

trufan Active Member

Nebs and I agree on the “window” on the primer tube. I found that a 5/32-3/16” hole drilled through the tube worked for me since I don’t have a mill or access to one.

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I took mine to a machine shop. They had a $50 minimum charge so I had them do 2.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If it is a very old 366 you may want to check that the primer station has a small rounded inclined slot on the side of the primer seat pad away from the primer drop station. If it is a straight down hole then you may, especially if you work too fast, have the primer fail to completely drop in to the hole before the shell holder ring rotates and jams the shell against the side of the primer and the side of the primer seat pad.

I understand that Hornady later incorporated this change in their later models of the 366. I made mine using a small rat tail file.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to the Instructions for the press.
    https://press.hornady.com/assets/pc...loader-Instructions--2018-06-081528913363.pdf

oldshotgunner thanked this.
  8. Mark Travis

Mark Travis Member

9. Mark Travis

Mark Travis Member

10. postmastertim

postmastertim Just getting by.....

I found it easier to use a Dremel cut off wheel on the fill tube. This way when I notice it's empty I still have at least ten primers to go usually. I invert a spent primer in the bottom when done loading for the day.

20200802_171200.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    Mark Travis thanked this.
  11. oldshotgunner

Thanks guys!! The primer tube mod I will do right away and I'm ordering new reservoirs from Jim.

12. Slowpoke Rodriguez

Slowpoke Rodriguez Active Member

When you replace the primer stop and install the slotted primer drop tube in the loader, adjust it so it's too high to drop any primers. Then put 10 - 15 expended (dead) primers into the tube and with hulls in the resizing station and primer seating station, bottom the handle. The primer should not drop. Initially, adjust the drop tube (primer feed body) 1/4 turn or less at a time—when you are very close, just creep up on the final adjustment —until a primer drops perfectly every time. The primer feed stop unit fingers should look like this:
    PrimerStop.jpg
    Notice that the primer feed body tube is just at the plate (not quite touching) and the primer feed stop unit fingers are rather bowed out. The tube setting needs to be very precise: a bit too high and occasionally a primer will not drop; if the tube actually is hitting the plate, it will develop a primer drop-stopping burr and you will have to stop everything, remove the tube and use a small 1/2" hand reamer, small half-round file or the like to remove the burr, (if you jam the primer drop tube too far down against the shell plate you can bend the shell plate, and create even more problems). Once the burr is removed, then go through the adjustment process again. When set, tighten the lock nuts up and re-test a few times to insure things are right.

phatkaw thanked this.
  13. Mark Travis

Mark Travis Member

BFED928B-E6A5-4909-908E-39B0C5FD702D.jpeg

14. Micholdtimer

Micholdtimer TS Member

I have 2 Hornady loaders. One is an old Pacific DL366 I purchased in the early 70s and have had Hornady rebuild twice since then. I have also maintained it and replaced many parts as required. Over the years, I've made several modifications which have made things a bit easier and more efficient. One of the most helpful "fabrications" is that I cut the rim around the turret on the powder drop station which then allows me to remove the case and weigh the powder charge. Shell is easily removed and then slides right back in....the handle can then be moved back up to allow the turret to continue its move to the next position. Try it....

Attached Files:

phatkaw and TC thanked this.
  15. oldshotgunner

Reservoirs are ordered and I temporarily fixed the primer stop problem with a rubber band that solved the problem until I can get spares. The project for today is to find a machine shop to modify the primer drop tube.
    I'm amazed at the number of mods and tweaks that can be done to this press! Can't wait to start using it.
    Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

IMG_0144.jpg

16. DTC

DTC Active Member

Wrap a rubber band at the bottom of the the primer feed, works great. Drill a hole in the primer feed tube about 2" above the the drop point to see the primers remaining. Remove drilling burrs with a file. This works for me on both of my 366's.

17. azgreg

azgreg Well-Known Member

There is the seller on eBay that makes a LED light that drops into the center hole of the top plate. Provides really good illumination for the rotating assembly. Highly recommend you look into that.

18. fireman ken

fireman ken Active Member

Besides Jim Skeel's powder and shot tubes which are great look at In-Line Fabrication for risers to mount the press on. Very well made and in a a couple of heights. They also sell the LED light that goes in the top plate and helps with visibility.
    Try Midway USA for spare parts. Keep extra shot/powder washers on hand as well as some other parts too. That way you won't be down for long waiting for a small part if something breaks. It's been a great reloader and I like all the modifications I have done and seen on here. The shell plate on Mark Travis's middle press is impressive. If I ever need another shell plate I'll have to look into that.

19. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I also have the In-Line Fabrication ergo handle for mine. And their LED light. I reload while standing.

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Well-Known Member

When I had my 366, I got fancy and installed a micro switch onto the primer drop (milled slot like shown in this fellow's pic) and hooked it to a battery light. I kept forgetting to look at the slot and would invariably run out of primers. The light would go on and off each time a primer dropped but would stay on when the last few primers passed the switch.