Trapshooters Forum banner

Hope for the "yips"

2395 14
Phil Mickelson wins the PGA Championship at age 50 despite having to change his grip and stoke because of the "yips"
WATCH: Phil Mickelson's bizarre new 'STOP-START' putting stroke | GolfMagic

Tiger Woods overcame his "yips" and won the 2019 Masters, but I've not seen a definitive report as to how, exactly, it was accomplished
There Is Yips Hope

Col. Courtney cured his flinch after smashing his fingers, requiring changing his grip
Col. Courtney's Flinch Cure
Page 14

Using a release trigger requires us to firmly grip (contraction) the gun while, at just the right moment, command our pointer finger to extend. It is my only slightly learned opinion that the contraction then extension has something to do with blocking the dystonia.
The yips, the strange condition affecting sportsmen

Why Do Top Athletes Suddenly Develop “the Yips”—a Tendency to Choke under Pressure?
“something as simple as clenching your left fist before putting or bowling (throwing the ball toward the wicket defended by a batsman in cricket can make a significant difference”
Clenching would be setting the release trigger!

My swing is much smoother and I am much less likely to flinch if I purposefully tell myself “squeeze the gun”, and do so, before calling for the target.

Complicating things is the observation that MANY golfers with hopeless putting "yips" DO NOT FLINCH when there is no ball to hit - they have a nice smooth stroke. So vision has some contribution also.

Anyway - as previously observed the big money is in curing professional athletes, and since Phil won $20,160,000 he can likely afford the best help ;) It would be nice if the swing and putting coaches, sports physiologists & psychologists would share their secrets with us trap shooters.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,497 Posts
It would be nice if the swing and putting coaches, sports physiologists & psychologists would share their secrets with us trap shooters.
Your answer is below!!!

Col. Courtney cured his flinch after smashing his fingers, requiring changing his grip
Here is a proven method that works!!! LOL. break em all jeff

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Phil Mickelson wins the PGA Championship at age 50 despite having to change his grip and stoke because of the "yips"
WATCH: Phil Mickelson's bizarre new 'STOP-START' putting stroke | GolfMagic

Tiger Woods overcame his "yips" and won the 2019 Masters, but I've not seen a definitive report as to how, exactly, it was accomplished
There Is Yips Hope

Col. Courtney's Flinch Cure
Page 14

Using a release trigger requires us to firmly grip (contraction) the gun while, at just the right moment, command our pointer finger to extend. It is my only slightly learned opinion that the contraction then extension has something to do with blocking the dystonia.
The yips, the strange condition affecting sportsmen

Why Do Top Athletes Suddenly Develop “the Yips”—a Tendency to Choke under Pressure?
“something as simple as clenching your left fist before putting or bowling (throwing the ball toward the wicket defended by a batsman in cricket can make a significant difference”
Clenching would be setting the release trigger!

My swing is much smoother and I am much less likely to flinch if I purposefully tell myself “squeeze the gun”, and do so, before calling for the target.

Complicating things is the observation that MANY golfers with hopeless putting "yips" DO NOT FLINCH when there is no ball to hit - they have a nice smooth stroke. So vision has some contribution also.

Anyway - as previously observed the big money is in curing professional athletes, and since Phil won $20,160,000 he can likely afford the best help ;) It would be nice if the swing and putting coaches, sports physiologists & psychologists would share their secrets with us trap shooters.
It'll be interesting to see if he's still using that same putting stroke in 6 months' time or whether the next panacea solution will have been adopted.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lots of youtubes out there suggesting putting "yips" can be cured by changing one's grip; this one is almost 10 years old

Just google "how to cure putting yips"

Then again there are as many "cures" advocated as there are golfers with "yips" ;)
The sports psychologists still think it's all mental, and the neurologists think it's all neuromuscular.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rudy Etchen on grip and flinch
TIPS ON SHOOTING TRAP | Joel Etchen Guns, Ligonier Pennsylvania | Shotguns Online
GRITS: How in the world could a pistol grip eliminate flinching?

RUDY: Because in a flinch you try to pull the trigger with your whole hand rather than with your trigger finger. If you get your hand jammed into a good tight pistol grip, the only thing that's going to work is that trigger finger.
(I wish he had elaborated on this - it may be that the exaggerated curve of the Etchen grip both moves the wrist to a neutral position and forces a firmer grip?)

GRITS: Aren't these tight pistol grips hard to find?

RUDY: Well, the old Etchen Specials are, because Dad didn't make that many. Some pretty good closed grips are available. The only fault I find with some of them is that they're too thick. You don't have good control over a gun if the grip is too thick. Not too thin, of course, but a well-proportioned, sleek circumference just behind the tang lets you get your hand around it so you feel you really have control of the gun. If the grip is too big I feel like the gun is pointing me rather than me pointing the gun.

Has anyone found an Etchen grip, Ljutic Space Gun grip, a vertical (rifle) grip, or a thumb-hole grip to have cured their flinch? How about a Perazzi "glove grip"?

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Rudy Etchen on grip and flinch
TIPS ON SHOOTING TRAP | Joel Etchen Guns, Ligonier Pennsylvania | Shotguns Online
GRITS: How in the world could a pistol grip eliminate flinching?

RUDY: Because in a flinch you try to pull the trigger with your whole hand rather than with your trigger finger. If you get your hand jammed into a good tight pistol grip, the only thing that's going to work is that trigger finger.
(I wish he had elaborated on this - it may be that the exaggerated curve of the Etchen grip both moves the wrist to a neutral position and forces a firmer grip?)

GRITS: Aren't these tight pistol grips hard to find?

RUDY: Well, the old Etchen Specials are, because Dad didn't make that many. Some pretty good closed grips are available. The only fault I find with some of them is that they're too thick. You don't have good control over a gun if the grip is too thick. Not too thin, of course, but a well-proportioned, sleek circumference just behind the tang lets you get your hand around it so you feel you really have control of the gun. If the grip is too big I feel like the gun is pointing me rather than me pointing the gun.

Has anyone found an Etchen grip, Ljutic Space Gun grip, a vertical (rifle) grip, or a thumb-hole grip to have cured their flinch? How about a Perazzi "glove grip"?
I suspect you're asking too much if you're expecting an answer on a public forum o_O. Would not the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of release trigger aficionados rail against one of their number making such a disclosure?

IMO a trigger should be pulled straight back and not pulled in an upwards direction. A full pistol grip (like the Etchen grip) as opposed to a half-pistol grip facilitates this. Fred Etchen was years ahead of his time. Look at the modern trap stocks made by Manuel Ricardo in Portugal or the Beretta TSK glove grips. The trigger hand is almost at right angles to the barrels of most O/Us so fitted.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A more recent article about Cross Hand Putting for the yips

More regarding the different grips used by pros

I couldn't find an update on Mickelson's grip or yips but he had a terrible U.S. Open

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Phil Mickelson and his Saudi Arabia LIV league. What a has-been.
I hope he gets the yips every time he puts a ball. Just plain greed
and zero patriotism.
I don't know Mickelson's views about patriotism, but I assume as a man who makes his living from golf he's decided to make as much money as possible while he can still swing a club and the Saudis have upped the ante on what the USPGA is prepared to put on the table. Isn't making money an American philosophy?

· Banned
1,014 Posts
I don't know Mickelson's views about patriotism, but I assume as a man who makes his living from golf he's decided to make as much money as possible while he can still swing a club and the Saudis have upped the ante on what the USPGA is prepared to put on the table. Isn't making money an American philosophy?
i respect your view….it just isn't mine. I take it you are an avid golfer
who also watches PGA tournaments on t.v. Like me.

· Banned
1,014 Posts
Phil Mickelson, makes FIFTY MILLION dollars a year and is worth
300 million. I don’t think he has to worry much about making a living.
I respect Tiger Woods more for not pandering to the Saudis . Enough
said!

6,495 Posts
We sure don't mind burning up Saudi gas... I don't apologize for my German SUV, do the K and P gun guys apologize for their non American guns?

We buy a lot of China made product... Lots of hypocritical positions...

Phil, Brooks, Sergio, etc... Capitalism in action...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.