Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! I am new to this forum. A co-worker gave me 4000 once fired Federal Gold Medal hulls. I tried to shoot some in my 11-87 trap model. Most of them would not go into battery. As you may know the bases on these are a bit high and possibly in need of proper re-sizing. Might I consider honing the chamber a bit, and how would you go about this procedure? Thanks in advance. Skidsteer.

·
Registered
23,594 Posts
Howdy folks! I am new to this forum. A co-worker gave me 4000 once fired Federal Gold Medal hulls. I tried to shoot some in my 11-87 trap model. Most of them would not go into battery. As you may know the bases on these are a bit high and possibly in need of proper re-sizing. Might I consider honing the chamber a bit, and how would you go about this procedure? Thanks in advance. Skidsteer.
Resize them properly. Do NOT hone the chamber.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Really?? Honing a chamber so unsized Federal Gold Medals will fit is the most foolish thing I have seen in a long time. So, after honing the chamber to fit these unsized hulls, then your idea would be to hone the chamber again after firing these hulls in the oversized chamber? Has the thought not occurred to you to reload these hulls using a quality press that resizes properly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really?? Honing a chamber so unsized Federal Gold Medals will fit is the most foolish thing I have seen in a long time. So, after honing the chamber to fit these unsized hulls, then your idea would be to hone the chamber again after firing these hulls in the oversized chamber? Has the thought not occurred to you to reload these hulls using a quality press that resizes properly?
It did now. Would you not consider a MEC 600 JR a quality press? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Not if you want to resize. Get the Sizemaster.
If you already have the 600 Jr it does have a sizer of sort, one of the dies has a small mouth that squeezes the brass, not very efficient. MEC does have press that only resizes and maybe deprime. I am not very familiar with them. I got the Sizemaster then upgraded to the 9000G.

Jason

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
MEC makes a good resizer only......one at a time......the ring resizers are useless. Wether it be on a 600Jr, a pondsness, or a spolar.....m

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
When did the Mec 600 not resize well. I am sure the MANY users of the 600 would find this untrue and disappointing. Same for the Hornady 366 users etc. While I use all 9000H's now I have used all the MEC presses with eqaully good results. The only reason to upgrade is for speed and tired of pulling the handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When did the Mec 600 not resize well. I am sure the MANY users of the 600 would find this untrue and disappointing. Same for the Hornady 366 users etc. While I use all 9000H's now I have used all the MEC presses with eqaully good results. The only reason to upgrade is for speed and tired of pulling the handle.
I just this morning bought a MEC Super Sizer. There, that should end this thread.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That's EXACTLY what all reloaders need.....slipping a tube doesn't work like a mechanical "squeeze".....m

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I just this morning bought a MEC Super Sizer. There, that should end this thread.
Good for you. It's always nice to get new toys.
Just check your powder charges now that the press doesn't get that extra bump from the sizer. You can also unscrew the sizer ring from the 600 so it doesn't get in the way of depriming.
As to the thread ending... Not likely. lol

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I'm surprised so many people have had trouble with ring resizers. I actually run hulls through a cannibalized 600jr (it only has the first station left) before I use them in my BPS pump guns, the 9000 doesn't resize down far enough and they stick, but after running through the ring sizer they work just fine.

All carbide pistol reloading dies are ring sizers...In fact except for a few VERY uncommon specialties for belted magnums collet sizers for centerfire don't exist.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don’t know why but I’m surprised when someone is obviously new to reloading or the sport in general- and they get these kind of responses of the holier than thou on this site. I’m not referring to everyone that replied on this thread, but geez. We all started somewhere and didn’t know what we do now at one point. Calm down- recruit more new members to the sport and forum by being tolerant, maybe even patient. If typing a response to a question is below you, scroll on- there’s someone that knows more than you do that will help a newbie out without the snide remarks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually I have been reloading shot shells since 87 all STS and blue magic. And metallics since 2010. 38 45acp and 9mm. I should have known better on the Federal Gold Medals. Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts