Trapshooters Forum banner

home training for trapshooters

3436 21
Good day. Does anyone have links to any videos or articles about training at home for trapshooters. How to move properly, stand, where to look, etc?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
Good day. Does anyone have links to any videos or articles about training at home for trapshooters. How to move properly, stand, where to look, etc?
D. Lee Braun is good if very dated. I have found "Getting to the top in trap" an online series by Chris Batha to be an excellent resource for new and not so new trap shooters.
I believe it is at clay coach online may be his website.
The price is right also...free.
Trapwife is right on! Leo is exhaustive in his knowledge and accomplishments.

· Registered
390 Posts
The various videos are helpful, especially at first when you are trying to get leads in your head and such, but for day in, day out, long term practice/training, I think Terry's wall chart and Phil Kiner's eye training video work very well together In fact, shooting every day did not help me as much as doing the chart/video daily and shooting two or three times a week. In other shooting disciplines it's not unusual for top shooters to spend a majority of their training time dry firing.

· Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Good videos by:

Mitchel Loveless
Harlan Campbell Jr.
Leo Harrison III
Phil Kiner
Frank Hoppe

There may be others. All have good information.

There are some nice videos by Russell Mark (Australian) on YouTube. Some are good for ATA Trap.

Terry Jordan's wall chart is good for muscle memory and eliminating that forward jump when you pull the trigger.

· Registered
358 Posts
The various videos are helpful, especially at first when you are trying to get leads in your head and such, but for day in, day out, long term practice/training, I think Terry's wall chart and Phil Kiner's eye training video work very well together In fact, shooting every day did not help me as much as doing the chart/video daily and shooting two or three times a week. In other shooting disciplines it's not unusual for top shooters to spend a majority of their training time dry firing.
Lanny Basham would certainly agree

· Registered
390 Posts
Lanny Basham would certainly agree
I am a big LB fan. His material helped me be a better pistol/carbine shooter and instructor. My wife is getting started shooting trap. The other day she said she is finally starting to figure out why she misses. I told her that's all good and well, but it's a lot more important to know why you hit.

· Registered
586 Posts
Leo Harrison’s videos will answer your questions. Short clips on YouTube
I agree. Leo’s video teaches you the fundamentals you’re asking about, i.e. how to position yourself on each post, where your gun should be, and where your eyes should be. His video was the one thing that has helped me the most.

Reactions: claytrgthunter

· Vendor
1,754 Posts
I am a big LB fan. His material helped me be a better pistol/carbine shooter and instructor. My wife is getting started shooting trap. The other day she said she is finally starting to figure out why she misses. I told her that's all good and well, but it's a lot more important to know why you hit.
I respectfully disagree- If you don't know why you missed then later down the line you will be wondering why and that will cost you targets.

Shotgunning @ clay targets is totally different than punching paper!!!

· Registered
390 Posts
The idea isn't that knowing why one misses is completely unimportant, just that knowing why one hits is even more so in the long run. I, for one, can come up with a seemingly infinite number of ways to miss...

More than one way to approach things.

I really like your eye training DVD BTW, it was money well spent and you really should be charging more for it than you do (I can say that now that I own my copy)! It helps everything from my trap shooting, to pistol, to driving hard on the racetrack!

· Registered
187 Posts
I respectfully disagree- If you don't know why you missed then later down the line you will be wondering why and that will cost you targets.

Shotgunning @ clay targets is totally different than punching paper!!!
I am from a rifle background and Understand the Ability too call your shots,If I called a shot in the 9 ring a 3 o clock the hole should be there .That said my position .sights ,trigger control were spot on.....With a shotgun I think the feed back is not there for you focus on the target Slap the trigger and hope it works.I have never heard or read of feed back from Clay shooting for analyzing you shot ? Hope you Fellows have one ....Example for Rifle This Drill Alone made me NRA Master Classification Ball and Dummy Drill Offhand Drill Load 10 live rounds and 10 Dummy rounds that look and weight the same place in a Bag and dont look grab one load and go through your process of firing a shot into the 10 ring if the shot is a dummy you Learn too FOCUS ON THE PROCESS not the noise and hopefully see your error and then work on a solution ....
Regards Jeff

· Registered
5,326 Posts
I have never heard or read of feed back from Clay shooting for analyzing you shot ? Hope you Fellows have one ..
Regards Jeff
Oh, there are MANY ways that "helpful" people will tell you why you missed.

They're almost always wrong.

Often it involves looking at where the wad went and "assuming" that the shot went in the same place.

Or they'll say they were watching and "reading" your breaks (that is, seeing which part of the clay you hit for the last few shots before the miss) and conclude from there that you missed "on the same side as the breaks were".

very very few people ACTUALLY know how to watch a trap shooter and give helpful advice NOT as to why they missed but HOW TO HIT.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
did you filmed youself?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.