Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opps, gun HOLDS for wobble...

Our fall trap league is done and we are having wobble trap until January. Wow, pretty fun; humbling as well as I transitioned to a 20 ga. at the same time for a change of pace.
Being my first year in Trap (avg'ing 21-22), I finally got a good idea for barrel and eye placement. My question is: since there is the possibility for the very low fliers, should I hold the A) barrel, B) eyes, C) both lower than in standard trap?

Also, they allow a second shot (optional). I tried this with 7/8 loads and mod (1st) and IM (2nd barrel) without luck. I of course only tried on the first miss, but when I did it seemed a waste...also, the old timers teased me. If shooting doubles, skeet, SC, the second shoot doesn't bother me--so why is shooting the same bird twice got me all wadded up?

Tonight I will switch back to my 12 ga. The ammo I have at moment is 1 & 1 1/8, 2 3/4 & 3 dram +variety of chokes. Any suggestions on combinations? The alternative is taking all their advice, "just hit it the first time Stevie!" It stinks not hitting a low fast flyer once, but blowing through a second box of ammo with not much better score is downright embarrassing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hold the barrel on the house. I'd use an Imp mod and full, second shot a caps load.
Thanks. Lol, some of us were pretty nervous we were going to actually shoot the house on the low flat liners. No one did, but it sure gives the illusion you might, thus I shot over the bird. We just agreed the first to shoot the house paints it next spring. (and probably gets a nickname)
My normal load is 8 shot and 2 3/4; should I consider 7.5 oz and 3 dram for that second shot? Maybe I'm overthinking all this...

Also, "caps load??"

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
caps load is short for Handicap load. Hold on the house and shoot it, don't admire it. As you get better, you won't need many second shots, so it really doesn't take two boxes of shells. Don't over think it. See it, shoot it, then shoot it again. Mod/Full will work fine. Bunker shooters use 24 gr (7/8 oz) shells with some speed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My best scores at wobble targets (one shot) were shot with my Win. Model 12, full choke, and one ounce Nitros with #7 1/2 shot.

I hold for the low target and make sure to not shoot over it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts