Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an AR 15 style rifle. Thinking about one of the cheaper holographic sights. Anyone have any experience or opinions with the less expensive ones in the $75.00-$100.00 ones.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You get what you pay for. I bought one of the cheap China knockoffs. It lasted one month of summer shooting on top of my AR 15. It then failed to project the holographic dot. I tried new batteries but it wasn't that simple. Something inside the thing was rattling. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Maybe I got a lemon but from now on I'll save my money for big name brands. I knew better but I figured the AR recoil wasn't bad at all.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
spend the $$

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put a TruGlo on mine. It has 4 different reticles in two different colors. Originally had it on my slug gun. Cost was $100 at my local guy, but Optics Planet has them for $85. Its been a pretty good site for the money. It seems to cowitness the irons pretty good, I'll know more when spring rolls around and I can get some serious trigger time in. It ain't no Eotech, but it ain't $400 either!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was always told when I was younger, that you are better off with a $100.00 gun with $400.00 optics than your are with a $400.00 and $100.00 optics. Having tried it both ways, I tend to believe that advice was golden.

I have an Eotech 512 on my AR and did not do a whole lot of research before purchasing but am quite satisfied with it on a low end DPMS. Are the $85.00-$100.00 optics true holographic or just basic red dot sights? Any insight?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
One issue about holographic sights... If you have normal vision or are farsighted they will work OK, but those who are nearsighted or need glasses need to look through one before they buy. On a true holographic sight like the EOTech (not cheap fake knockoffs) the holographic image is projected onto the same plane as the target. Visually it's as if it is right in front of the target. This is why there are no parallax issues with a true holographic sight.

EOTech makes these sights as standard with a 1 MOA dot and a 65 MOA ring. The ring bothers some people, so EOTech also makes dot only models.

CMMGsierraMagpul2b.jpg

My EOTech 552 currently resides on my CMMG .22 LR AR15 (above). The 1 MOT dot and suppressor work well for low light pest control in the hay and cow barns, as well as varminting within rimfire ranges. I had it on an FAL at one time for big game hunting, but the cheek weld on that rifle was poor due to the height of the sight. Also had it on my dedicated coyote AR15, but later switched to a scope.

EOTechs come in a variety of models, with different dot display, battery and finish options (black, tan or camo). The cheapest to operate are the long battery operated models like the 552 above, which use ordinary AA cells. The CR123 battery models are more compact and leave room for folding sights or magnifiers. The 552 costs more than the 512 because it has settings for use with night vision, which most people will not need. Same for some other models. There are also a few models with bullet drop compensation reticles for 223, 308, and 300 Blackout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts