Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this browning citori trap as a backup trap gun. It had a removable comb on it when I bought it and when I started to peel the removable comb off (after I bought it of course) I noticed there was a small hole in the stock. Can this be fixed?

Brown Wood Tool Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Take the recoil pad off and look inside from the rear and see whats going on in there. I looked at one once where a guy took a large drill bit to enlarge the draw bolt hole by hand and went on an angle and came out through the side of the stock, just barely . He ended up buying a new stock and the correct reducer size to fit the standard hole.

He was trying to use a mercury reducer too large for the hole in the stock - one he had laying around, instead of getting the correct size.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If purchased from an individual, I'd ask him if he was the one who jammed a screwdriver through the stock.
I bought it off gunbroker from a sporting store up north that was selling on consignment. I’d imagine there little recourse at this point. Otherwise it’s a nice gun and as long as that hole is covered it’s even pretty to look at lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take the recoil pad off and look inside from the rear and see whats going on in there. I looked at one once where a guy took a large drill bit to enlarge the draw bolt hole by hand and went on an angle and came out through the side of the stock, just barely . He ended up buying a new stock and the correct reducer size to fit the standard hole.

He was trying to use a mercury reducer too large for the hole in the stock - one he had laying around, instead of getting the correct size.
I’ve read that these Browning stocks aren’t really interchangeable (or if they are, they need to be refitted by a gunsmith), but I haven’t read too much on the matter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think your suggestion seems like a pretty reasonable way to fix it w/o much hassle outside of having to strip the stock and fore grip in order to get them to match.

Have you everdone something like this? It doesn’t seem like a small diy project. The checkering kinda scares me if I’m stripping and refinishing. Kinda stinks b/c otherwise the finish is quite nice.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
With the pad on the bottom..(as it appears)... .I'd say the purpose of the pad was to cover the hole.......yes it can be fixed, BUT......can you do it, yes....will it look right, doubtful....

How much do you want to spend?? Buffalo Canyon (Mitchell Chase) can make that sows-ear look like new, BUT.... Good work doesn't come cheap......

Ps....all the above answers are less than acceptable for looks....kinda like filling the hole with Bondi and using a marker for color....and some clear fingernail polish.......

Your nickel......m

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the pad on the bottom..(as it appears)... .I'd say the purpose of the pad was to cover the hole.......yes it can be fixed, BUT......can you do it, yes....will it look right, doubtful....

How much do you want to spend?? Buffalo Canyon (Mitchell Chase) can make that sows-ear look like new, BUT.... Good work doesn't come cheap......

Ps....all the above answers are less than acceptable for looks....kinda like filling the hole with Bondi and using a marker for color....and some clear fingernail polish.......

Your nickel......m
Good points. The best thing may very well to do for such a relatively cheap gun would just be to cover it up and be happy letting a friend use it or whatever the case.

I was just kind of just curious if there were a not too terribly involved fix for it. The one w/the dowel seems reasonable if for not having to disassemble the gun and strip the finish off the whole gun.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Well, the glue from the velcro will probably force you to refinish the stock anyway. So you might as well 'play' with it...

Take off the recoil pad and look at the stock bolt hole - then find a piece of PVC pipe that is very close to the ID of the hole (just under), wrap the pipe in kitchen plastic wrap (acts as a 'release agent' for any glue) - you now have a 'backer' for whatever glue/filler you use on the hole.

I think I would try a mixture of glue mixed with sawdust as a filler (you can scrape/drill into the end of the stock that resides under the recoil pad). At first you want to just fill the bottom of the hole (use a strong epoxy here) - this will give you a base to build up from (this can be done with a glue/sawdust mix - of any origin because you will put a 'top coat' on it at the end (the top one needs matching sawdust and a clear drying glue). Several small coats will serve better than a single large one. I might even add an internal patch once the hole is sealed - think stronger glue - maybe an epoxy laid in with a mesh to add strength (window screen? Drywall seam tape?).

You will want to finish with the repair standing 'proud.' Next, as you refinish the stock, you can sand down the proud repair to match the contour - color/stain to match, and then refinish the stock.

That being said - if you are crazily careful in what you do, you might be able to just fill the hole, sand that area down, color it and then clear coat only the repair - will not be perfect, but saves the full refinish of the stock.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I agree with looking to see what is going on inside. Possibly someone blew out the side of the stock trying to re,ove the stock bolt. I would fill that hole with Brownells Acc glad with a tint to make it darker than the finish on the stock. Expensive stuff but then I always have a little on hand. I would try to do it without stripping the stock. You can always strip and refinish it it does not work out. I think with filling and scraping I could do a fair job. Or fill it and install a new stick on comb.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the glue comes off the stock without damaging the finish. I would put a sticker over the hole and call it good. Try using WD40 on a rag to remove the glue.. I have used stickers to cover dents and scratches with good results. Also makes it easier to identify my gun in the rack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with looking to see what is going on inside. Possibly someone blew out the side of the stock trying to re,ove the stock bolt. I would fill that hole with Brownells Acc glad with a tint to make it darker than the finish on the stock. Expensive stuff but then I always have a little on hand. I would try to do it without stripping the stock. You can always strip and refinish it it does not work out. I think with filling and scraping I could do a fair job. Or fill it and install a new stick on comb.
Curious why you would make the tint darker than the finish?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the glue from the velcro will probably force you to refinish the stock anyway. So you might as well 'play' with it...

Take off the recoil pad and look at the stock bolt hole - then find a piece of PVC pipe that is very close to the ID of the hole (just under), wrap the pipe in kitchen plastic wrap - you now have a 'backer' for whatever glue/filler you use on the hole.

I think I would try a mixture of glue mixed with sawdust as a filler (you can scrap/drill into the end of the stock that resides under the recoil pad). At first you want to just fill the bottom of the hole (use a strong epoxy here) - this will give you a base to build up from (this can be dome with a glue/sawdust mix - of any origin because you will put a 'top coat' on it at the end (this one needs matching sawdust and a clear drying glue). Several small coats will serve better than a single large one. I might even add an internal patch once the hole is sealed - think stronger glue - maybe an epoxy laid in with a mesh to add strength (window screen? Drywall seam tape?).

You will want to finish with the repair standing 'proud.' Next, as you refinish the stock, you can sand down the proud repair to match the contour - color/stain to match, and then refinish the stock.

That being said - if you are crazily careful in what you do, you might be able to just fill the hole, sand that area down, color it and then clear coat only the repair - will not be perfect, but saves the full refinish of the stock.
Wow! Thank you for taking the time for such thought out advice. I’d love it if I could get rid of the hole and do a decent enough job w/o having to refinish.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Also, maybe it’s just me, but the wood on that stock seems paper thin. I kind of expected it to be a little more beefy than that.

If the stock really is 'paper thin' you could also permanently attach an internal piece of pipe in the stock bolt hole. Take the idea of a piece of 'backer pipe' but forego the plastic wrap and glue it into the hole, tight to the side walls.

As is mentioned above it sounds like someone tried to enlarge the hole, perhaps for a recoil reducing weight - didn't work too well...

I would approach this as a fun project - just take lots of time - think about it often, and do it in 'baby steps.'

Reactions: Frank C
1 - 20 of 28 Posts